• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resolve Outside of Court; SC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usc1988

I live in SC, and I was stole some money from a job that I used to have on campus freshman year. I was arrested and I went into PTI, I got kicked out of PTI because I couldnt pay so then I went back into the regular court. So I went to the first one and then I got sent to transfer court. I had an exam the day of transfer court (and honestly, I still didnt have the full amount that was due, $2045), I didnt go. I did call to let them know well in advance and got a rude little man on the phone which upset me, and then I just let it go.

So, I know that there should be a warrant out for me and that I am probably living on borrowed time. My plan was to avoid getting arrested long enough to get the money then pay them and turn myself in and hopefully they would reduce it to a misdemeanor (its a felony because it was over $500) which would allow me to get a job one day.

Well, I have the money now, plus extra that I have been saving to hire a good lawyer. I am wondering if it is possible to pay them off and then just drop the charges? I know it probably sounds too idealistic, but it really seems like they just want their money back.

Is it possible, now that I have missed court to have the charges dropped?

I am hoping to get this resolved within the next month or two. There is nothing like having this hanging over your head to really stress you out. Every time I try to go apply for a better job (mine isnt bad, but I know I can do better) or an internship I am afraid that they will see it, so I am stuck where I am.

Does anyone have any advice? And if you are from SC, can you recommend any good lawyers?

racer72

The time to negotiate for a reduced sentence is likely long gone. Use some of the money you save and hire a good attorney. There are links and above and to the right that can help you find an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">