• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about background check. HELP!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LMIC5

I'm not sure if I have this question in the right topic so please let me know if i need to repost. My story...

I was offered a job yesterday but it is contingent upon a successful background check and drug screening. I have lived in NJ all my life and I was arrested in February 2006 in NYC, I was 23 at the time. I was pretty much told by my the public defender that I should plead guilty to disorderly conduct in order to avoid having to come back several times to fight a not guilty plea. I have a bachelors and a clean background besides that one incident. The public defender told me that it was a minor violation and would not affect me getting a job in the future. Since February 2006, I applied and was offered a job with a Fortune 500 company in May 2006 (after my arrest). My question is that when I was offered the job in May 2006 I answered no to the felony question and conviction question on the application. For some reason this time around I'm a little bit more nervous about the whole thng because about a year ago I applied for a job in law enforcement and was turned away. Am I overreacting because the law enforcement job involved a more thorough background check? Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">