• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Suspension Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dharmac

New Hampshire
My daughter is 14 years old, a freshman in a NH highschool. She was suspended for "stealing" a cookie in the lunch line. She has never been in trouble before, and the administration has told me this very well could have just been an accident. Each day she purchases 2 cookies, they are under her tray. She tells the lunch aid I have 2 cookies and the lunch and cookies are deducted from her available balance. She does not see a receipt etc. Tuesday she did not say she has 2 cookies and when she left the line and was getting condiments the cookies were taken away and she was called in. She says that she said something both aides say she did not. (amount 100+ kids talking during this routine lunch). She will not be allowed to make up a quiz or homework for this day. It counts as an unexcused absence and there is a suspension notice in her file for stealing. It does not elaborate more than that. I have asked for this to be removed since I think a detention would have sufficed or a written explanation, including witnesses that she she 100% intentially stole the cookie. I was told that this is insignificant to the Principal and he will not waste time investigating for malicious intent. Her grades have been affected, and her reputation has been affected, I would think that both her property interest in the education and her liberty interest in her reputation have been affected and I have every right to demand evidence. Stealing is a crime, whether it is a cookie or a computer.. Also, they took he cookies and charged our account for them. Then the vice principal kept the cookies. I was told this was just an oversight. How can the adult be allowed and oversight and not the child? Do I have rights here? The superintendent will not call me back. I have written to the NH Department of Education and I don't know if I will hear back from them. Suspensions are handed out for everything with no benefit of the doubt for the child.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
New Hampshire
My daughter is 14 years old, a freshman in a NH highschool. She was suspended for "stealing" a cookie in the lunch line. She has never been in trouble before, and the administration has told me this very well could have just been an accident. Each day she purchases 2 cookies, they are under her tray. She tells the lunch aid I have 2 cookies and the lunch and cookies are deducted from her available balance. She does not see a receipt etc. Tuesday she did not say she has 2 cookies and when she left the line and was getting condiments the cookies were taken away and she was called in. She says that she said something both aides say she did not. (amount 100+ kids talking during this routine lunch). She will not be allowed to make up a quiz or homework for this day. It counts as an unexcused absence and there is a suspension notice in her file for stealing. It does not elaborate more than that. I have asked for this to be removed since I think a detention would have sufficed or a written explanation, including witnesses that she she 100% intentially stole the cookie. I was told that this is insignificant to the Principal and he will not waste time investigating for malicious intent. Her grades have been affected, and her reputation has been affected, I would think that both her property interest in the education and her liberty interest in her reputation have been affected and I have every right to demand evidence. Stealing is a crime, whether it is a cookie or a computer.. Also, they took he cookies and charged our account for them. Then the vice principal kept the cookies. I was told this was just an oversight. How can the adult be allowed and oversight and not the child? Do I have rights here? The superintendent will not call me back. I have written to the NH Department of Education and I don't know if I will hear back from them. Suspensions are handed out for everything with no benefit of the doubt for the child.
So, she not only intentially (sic) TOOK the cookie, she followed up by lying about it.

CourtClerk

Personally, I think they should keep the cookies AND send you a civil demand for about $300.

However, if keeping the cookies makes you feel better, let the suspension stand, all of the documentation stand (since it was justified) and she can have the cookies and eat them while she's serving her suspension.

It does not elaborate more than that. I have asked for this to be removed since I think a detention would have sufficed
Since it's not your school, your school, what you think about the punishments handed out doesn't matter one bit.

carol thompson

Check your school district's student handbook or parent/student handbook. In most school districts, school rules are outlined in the handbook, as well as the consequences for breaking those rules. Suspension is a serious penalty and the handbook should also outline your daughter's due process rights, which usually include a hearing before the school district's school board. Check the handbook for how to request such a hearing (or the suspension/expulsion process may already be spelled out in the handbook). If it is not in the handbook, call the superintendent's office and ask to be placed on the agenda for the next school board meeting to appeal the suspension penalty and make your case to the board. After hearing your appeal, the school board will make a decision. It is your option to have an attorney present at the appeal hearing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">