• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

family limited partnership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cousermsn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

I am a partner in a family limited partnership. My questions are related to the financial reporting required by such? Are FLP's required to make available to partners the financial statements that are done quarterly? Our general partners only sent a letter that stated the opening balance and the closing balance with an insulting commentary on what had happened with the Dow and the S&P. This partnership has been in existence for three years and we have never received any financial information nor have we ever been given any documents that describe how the partnership is set up or administered. One general partner did state that they are only required to have an annual meeting and that is all they are required to do. Of course we have been liable for all the taxes on our shares but no distribution date set or any other info. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I feel they should be issuing financials as a limited partnership would.

Kiawah

Is this a FLP where you actually participate and contribute in the running of the business (and hence would have seen the FLP documents)?..... or.... is this an investment FLP where the general partners have funded the FLP as an investment, and give shares to you each year as part of a gifting strategy (in which case you wouldn't have seen the documents)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">