• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If the alleged infraction occured......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danesgold

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Jursidiction Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I've looked at the statutes but cannot find the appropriate statute. Any help appreciated.

Defendent was alleged to have exceeded the speed limit as observed by a Sulivan County, TN Deputy.

The alleged violation occured in Washington County, TN (Also inside the Municipal limits of Johnson City TN)

The defendent then continued into Sullivan County ( a few hundered yards from the alleged violation) where the defendent was stopped and cited for a speeding.

Deputy advised the defendent that he was to appear in Sullivan Count Sessions Court for the alleged Violation.

My question- If the alleged infraction occured in Washington County/Johnson City Tennessee. Can the law compell the defendent to have the case heard in Sullivan County?

Can the defendent ask to have the case changed to a Washington County Court where the alleged infraction was said to have occured?

I am aware a Deputy can cite any driver anywhere in the State. But can she compell the cited party to come to her county to have the case heard and have that county or municipality collect the fine?

Does it make any difference that the alleged infraction occured in Washington County but the actual stop occured in Sullivan County?

etc

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why did you feel the need to start FOUR threads over a 2 day period to ask this question?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">