• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights to pulling someone over in their driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KathieMarks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Can an sheriff red light you after you have pulled into your driveway? The keys were out of the ignition and we were getting out of the vechile when the officer said to get back into the truck.

Shay-Pari'e

I forgot how interesting things get around here. Today, 10:31 PM
KathieMarks
Junior Member Join Date: Nov 2008

Have big problem need answers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california
Yesterday I was walking home when my boyfriend spotted me and turned onto the entrance of the street closest to me and turned the truck back towards the main road so i could get in. We were at a stop sign completly stopped, two cars passed in front of us on the main road one being a sheriff. We were only across the street from the road we lived on, after the two cars passed we proceeded across the road to our street and pulled in our driveway. We were already getting out of the vechile when the sherriff red lighted us and told us to get back in the vechile. We did and my boyfriend being on the run from a court ordered rehab, he walked away from the rehab, when i believe it was a mandatory thing for his parole. Gave the officer an alias which he had used before and knew the name would come back clear. The officer asked if he would step out of the truck before ever running the name he gave him and hand cuffed him. While emptying out his pockets found a scale and srynige and some meth. Not knowing that our sawed off shotgun was under the front seat, I told the officer that no there was not anything else on me or in the truck illeagle. He asked me to step out and after finding the gun hand cuffed me and put me into another car. That was when my boyfriend called the officer over and gave them his real name and took responsiblity for everything. Then they asked me if i had anything in the house that would be illeagle and could they go look inside. I let them and all they found was a pipe which they left behind mind you and walked back outside. My question is this, "Can they pull you over in your driveway for know real reason?" And can they search my boyfriend for know obivious reason or can they because they have a hunch? His charges ended up being 1. felon with a loaded firearm 2. upscounding from parole 3. felon with firearm and possession 4. felon with firearm with possible trafficking and or sales. I know he is looking at some time but does anybody have an estimation of how much time?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

Can an sheriff red light you after you have pulled into your driveway? The keys were out of the ignition and we were getting out of the vechile when the officer said to get back into the truck.
Yes, they can. Life is not a game of tag where you are "safe" if you reach home.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">