• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights of a homeowner, when spouses' adult child resides here and does drugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jcandme85

I have been married to my spouse for 12 years. All her boys have a drug use problem.......cannot keep themselves, have abused me, both mentally and physically. My wife supports their rights to do these drugs, stating it's THEIR problem. However, the youngest (19) has moved back into our home, and has drugs and paraphenalia in his room....and his mother says I have NO right being in his room, nor looking in his things.....it's HIS stuff, and HIS room......unfortunately, it's attached to MY house (inherited from parents/her name put on, as a courtesy, and also on 35000.00 CD in bank, also inherited) If he is tracked back to this property, will I be responsible for HIS wrongdoing, and also, what rights do I have, with this inherited property, and money, if I divorce her, just to get rid of her lecherous kids. I lived in her mobile home up until 1996, making payments, home improvements, etc., but now she says I have NO rights to any of that because she wants to allow her drug infested kid to live there, at which point, he will pay as little as possible, and she will end up paying his bills, and I will still be supporting all OUR bills here....sorry it got long, but it's even longer than this. Thank you

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Eesh - sounds like you married into wealth.

Well, I don't know if your state is a community property state but generally, as much as you put into a home, during marriage, you are entitled to that or a percentage.

As for the child, if she says it is okay for him to stay and she is on the house title, there is no trespass. Only thing I can think of, is to attempt to help these kids get off drugs/go into his room and throw all of it out/seek a divorce attorney.

http://www.attorneypages.com

J

jcandme85

reponse to lawrat...thank you

No sir.........the wealth is mine.........from MY parents...I didn't marry into it, but the state of PA, states that, in the event of divorce, inherited property is to be excluded from division......but, as for her mobile home and property (which she was living in when we met) do I have any rights, due to monetary input for 10 years, as to the property she owns.....we have her niece in there, renting it right now, and she doesn't ALWAYS have the rent on time, but we get it all, when she gets her income tax return..this has been going on since 96', and I object to my spouse throwing her out to make room for a druggie...kid or NO kid. The father is on drugs and he's their hero....we own 2 homes..paid for......he's just now buying a hud house....real fixer upper, and she had to relieve him if BACK child support for him to be able to do it. As far as throwing all his drug crap out.......he gets new stuff, brings it on back here, and goes again....and my wife argues that it's HIS room......a buddy of mine says I should wait till after his payday, then call the police, and have them come and search, and sieze....then pick him up too.....but this is a touchy subject, because then, I live in hell, with my spouse (whom I REALLY do love)....don't really want a divorce, just want her adult child to move out and get a life....he really WANTS a life........OURS...and what we can give him....not what he earns! And he threatens us....yes, even her......and intimidates us, causes screaming in this house......we jointly threw him out before, because he put his hands on his mother, in violence, when I was out on the road. That was just last year. Before he did that, he punched a hole in my newly remodeled hallway with his fist, and put his fist through my door, in the room he occupies, because he didn't get his own way ........ok....just got done reading this again, and you don't (or maybe you DO) need to know all this.....but the thing you need to know is that my wife came out of an abusive household...that's why she's so protective of her kids...but to a FAULT now...and I've tried to get her to council, but she says she's fine....but she's not fine.....not to allow the abuse and destruction to continue....she says it would be different if I had had children......but I would NEVER have taken all the garbage, nor would I continue to take it after adulthood.......this is starting to souond like a job for Geraldo, or Springer, isn't it? Sorry it's so long, just trying to understand my rights, and trying to establish what rights and grounds I have, as far as the mobile home is concerned. I don't want the niece out on the streets looking for a place.....she has children....and, I believe that I ought to have some sayso (even though my name isn't on the place), due to many thousands of MY dollars being put into it over the years.....she was having the electric turned off, repossessed, and sheriff saled for taxes, when we met...but now all free and clear. I drive a semi truck.....and she owns her own beauty shop.....and there were years that she didn't work at all...she still doesn't have to, but I signed papers at the bank so she could build...guess question is this...........do I have ANY rights at all to say who will be living in that mobile home? And, even though I had her name put on my inheritance....does she really have more rights than me to say whether or not the "child" lives here? I had the option NOT to put her name on anything, then simply "will" it out, but chose to share my life with her......now it's complicated. Also need to add that my wife is afraid of this child....he is a violent.....well, maybe I'll get lucky and he'll hit me again, and I'll be able to give him a warm place to be, where he'll be fed everyday, and won't have to do anything! My wife fears that too....I just had a cataract operation on my eye, and she's scared that he'll injure me for life, if I try to take any action. That's why he gets away with so much.....he preys on fear. That all being said.......with a little more history....any other suggestions? Don't want him to starve, don't want him cold...but don't want him here! Thank you

T

t.brown

man im suprised you aren't more upset than you sound.I see this alot really odd value systems.I'm no lawyer but lety me see what I can do I'll read your post again real careful but I say this Do not tell any cpop that you know or knew jack about no funny buisness they are worse than that brood my friend They are thre pied pipers for real Be patient you shall be redeemed!!

T

t.brown

ok i'm not sure yet and man you are in a full blown drama for sure!But again do not tell the police you know drugs to be in your house .A man had his buisness taken after letting police do sting operations in his place and he was just reporting the activity like a good citizen.quite frankly smoking some of his pot Would help but you sound like it may be a p[oint of pride and personal dignity that you dont and thats cool!!
It is precious how you still love your wife
And YESB YOUL'D BE IN BIG DOODOOif you hurt her son,I imagine such a devoted mother is an neat erson to love
It sounds like it wouldbenice for you if he stopped smoking
like you'ld like it if she stopped defending her kid when he is disrespectful to you and God knows the kid would be better for it but thats a bit of a tiger through the hoop act too If you get my drift She is surely worth the effort but more so you are worth the extra effort to do it with shrewd
love &Str

ength and let the impetuos anger remember who is calling the shots
you have far more than 1 or2 options and after putting up with it this long its not going to be worth the demolition crew it will be ALL worth THE effort WHEN you WIN your BRIDE!!And a man who buys two houses and maintains a marriage certainly has a few tools in the shed.Myself I call on god and it is sweet!! He is so awesome I cannot believe how real the remedies to even what others would cringe to imagine me recieving,It's alittle like your wife standing up for the kid almos\t because he is weaker and needs the love .

Its actually not the drugs you will find when he is stoned he is nicer quieter and thank god he is not drinking or fights would have already brokewn out

But anyhow now that I said that about God I realize he has you handled And I'll congratulate you now since Ill not likly log on for awhile (OBVIOUSLY IM NOT A LAWYER)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">