• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Victims rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mastiff Mom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington (& not the DC ;) )
I meet w/ the prosecuting attorney today @ 2:00, thats 4 1/2 hrs.
I am EXTREMELY unhappy w/ a deal they made, as well as the other victims parents. Now he is telling me the agreement is made, he can't take it back.
To top off the "deal" I also feel like this whole case has been poorly cared for.
Long story short, My 16 yr old daughter and 3 other 16 yr old friends were victims of road rage. A 42 yr old RN, and her 21 yr old daughter (driver). The 42 yr old pulled a loaded gun on the girls. No shots fired, but they were arrested and gun found loaded. She did have a permit for the gun, but was also found w/ small amount of marijuana and crushed Oxycontin.
The daughter was only charged for reckless driving and will apparently get 30 days house arrest. I thought being her car she should be charged also for having the drugs in the car?
The attorney, w/o asking the victims or parents accepted a Felony for possession of drugs (crushed Oxycontin) from the mother. When I asked him if it was HER prescription, he couldn't tell me! 15 months! and he does NOT KNOW!:eek:
Also a charge of brandishing a weapon...:mad:
To sum it up she will get at minimum 5 days jail + up to 3 months work release/house arrest
I'm sorry, but I'm not feeling the justice here. I feel like he just screwed us the way they did.
This all happened in stopped traffic due to road work. So our girls had to drive 40 mins w/ these women behind them before they could pull over to safety. The state patrol passed them, but couldn't risk pulling the women over there.
The 911 calls they said were not saved and they did not bother to get any other witnesses. The mother admitted to putting the loaded gun out the window, but not pointing it at them. If they saved the 911 tapes, you would have heard the girls state this.
None of this feels right.
What can I do now?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From your daughter's perspective, the answer is "Truthfully, not much"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">