• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my officer bend my court order for her own agenda???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlia81

In Florida.
My court orders say "you will make a good faith effort to be employed". I got a home job because I have a drug felony and no one within walking distance will hire me. (Liscense suspended for the offense.) My officer says she willviolate me if I do not find a 40+ hour job by next month. I have a job, just because I work from home shouldn't make a difference. I just want to know if she can bend the rules like that.

Indiana Filer

I work for Avon.
As a probation officer, I'd PTR you for that if you were ordered to "you will make a good faith effort to be employed". They want you to get a regular paying job with a regular schedule. One reason is to ensure you don't have too much time on your hands. Are there any fast food restaurants nearby? Do you have a bike? Do you have two legs? How far do you consider walking distance?

And how can you sell Avon without going beyond walking distance? How do you deliver your catalogs, take orders, and deliver product?

Last edited:
You don't "work for Avon". You are self-employed as a distributor for Avon. As stated in the previous post, the Courts want you to have structure. That's why they want you to have a schedule. Something that requires responsibility on your part. You got into this pickle from not having any responsibility.

If you even once try to buck the authority of your Probation Officer, you will find yourself revoked faster than you can type the word.

Never forget this. Probation Officers are an extension of the Court. They work for the Judge. Mind your P's and Q's and you should be ok. Try to fight with them, and you won't have to worry about Conditions of Probation.

j991

In Florida.
My court orders say "you will make a good faith effort to be employed". I got a home job because I have a drug felony and no one within walking distance will hire me. (Liscense suspended for the offense.) My officer says she willviolate me if I do not find a 40+ hour job by next month. I have a job, just because I work from home shouldn't make a difference. I just want to know if she can bend the rules like that.
There is nothing that states that being self employed is not gainfull employment, the part that you have to overcome is "gainfull". You are going to need to show that the time you spend distributing for Avon is similiar to the hours worked at full time position. Also, you need to show an income substantual enough to live on. Third, you need to show that you are providing a service. For example, do you have a client list, reciepts from sales, etc. If you can show all of that, then if she violates you, you can show the court that you were living up to your end of the bargain. However, being a distrubter for Avon I highly doubt that you can show any of that. It usually requires long hours away from your house pounding the pavement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">