• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it too late to get a Living Trust?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MariePH5182

What is the name of your state: California

Hello, and thank you for your time.
My question is we have a situation of an elderly mother (88) that was just recently moved from her home in Texas to California to an "independent living" facility. After two months there, there have been some incidences that have shown that she needs much more comprehensive care and they have nicely asked us to find her a facility that would better suit her needs. She owns the home in Texas but never did a Living Trust on it. We do have a Will, but I don't think that will help. Since she lived in Texas for 30 years she will now have to apply for Medi-Cal to pay for the nursing home as her only other income is social security. Is it too late for us to do a living trust to save the house at this point and still have her qualify for Medi-Cal. Also which state would we file it in? Cal or Texas. Will she be forced to sell her house to pay for the nursing home, which I understand is around $5000 a month. Her house is not worth too much and that money will be gone very quickly at that rate. Please advise what we should do? They want her out of there as soon as possible. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,Marie

Last edited:

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state: California

Hello, and thank you for your time.
My question is we have a situation of an elderly mother (88) that was just recently moved from her home in Texas to California to an "independent living" facility. After two months there, there have been some incidences that have shown that she needs much more comprehensive care and they have nicely asked us to find her a facility that would better suit her needs. She owns the home in Texas but never did a Living Trust on it. We do have a Will, but I don't think that will help. Since she lived in Texas for 30 years she will now have to apply for Medi-Cal to pay for the nursing home as her only other income is social security. Is it too late for us to do a living trust to save the house at this point and still have her qualify for Medi-Cal. Also which state would we file it in? Cal or Texas. Will she be forced to sell her house to pay for the nursing home, which I understand is around $5000 a month. Her house is not worth too much and that money will be gone very quickly at that rate. Please advise what we should do? They want her out of there as soon as possible. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,Marie
Sell the house and use the money to pay for your mother's care. Why would you do anything else? Her assets should be used for her care. Once those assets are gone, then she could qualify for Medicaid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">