• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Becoming the legal guardian of my 16 year old sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

november21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? nc
My sister has been living with me for about 5 months because my parents are living with my grandparents. My sister did not want too so they agreed to let her live with me.....needless to say I don't recieve any kind of financial help and have been providing her with the things she needs for 5 months. What actions do I need to take to become her legal guardian? Can I become her legal guardian? I am asking because I take on all responsibility for her as far as school and things like that and they don;t really come by often to see her. Will the fact that I have been taking care of her financially for almost 6 months help me in any way? Thank you to anyone who can give me some light on this situation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1) How old are you?
2) Why do you need guardianship? Is there any specific concern you have due to the legal situation you are currently in?

november21

I am 23 years old married for 4 years with a 3 year old son. There is nothing wrong going on but It is not known who long she will be with me and if that is for the next 3 years I would like to know what options I have. Maybe to not become her legal guardian but something similar to where I can recieve the financial help required to raise two children. The two kids needs are completly different and even though she is my sister I am treating her as my child so that she can continue to do the best she can. I don't want her thinking since she lives with me it's party time, there are still ground rules. But I just need advice on how to get the financial help required for having two children. I am currently not working while attending college so we are on a limited income.

Antigone*

Why don't you ask your parents for financial assistance?

Let's say you do get some assistance from the state for her, they would come after your parents for restitutuion.

november21

I have asked them plenty of times already so that being said I need to take a different route....as far as the them having to pay the state back that would be on them. Either way money is going to be paid out and if it's not going to be paid out from them to me then I need to make other arrangements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">