• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who owns the Copyright in an open forum

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

helenrowe

When this open forum is moved, all messages, to a new site and made available to only paid users, although can be viewed by registered users, but used as a enticement for people to become a paid user. Am I in my rights to ask them to remove my messages, since they are now making a profit from my conversations?
I was removed from this registered list and now have no access to these messages at all. Where do I stand?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You should have read the privacy policy. Similar to what you see below:

Public Forums
This site makes chat rooms, forums, message boards, and/or news groups available to its users. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information.

I.e. you lost the right to choose what to do with it when you posted.

ALawyer

The posting agreement, or terms or contract or policy may also say they own the copyrights. This board's does.

H

helenrowe

I guess you can't post to any one persons reply in here.. So I would like to say to both of you thanks for the reply, I figured as much. Yes they did post they held the copyright at the bottom of the page. So I guess they can move it and make money off me if they choose, which is what they are doing. I don't know if your familiar with Classmates.com or not but that is who I speak of. They did have their free message boards on the Delphi system but have moved messages and all to their own site, which only allows paid members to post on it now. I was the moderator on that board and put my heart and soul into it for about 2 years. When I heard they were moving and only allowing paid members to post, I started another message board for my school on Delphi and when they hear about it they locked me out of the old message board before they actually moved it and took away the membership they gabe me for being an assistant for them. Then they even took me off their class list where you are able to register for free... What a mess!
Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">