• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my parole officer notify employer of felony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prstfhppns

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

I recently responded to a job posted online and sent in my resume. Human Resources contacted me for an interview, but never had me fill out an employment application. I'm currently on parole for a felony conviction (theft). My new employer has never asked if I'd been arrested or convicted of a felony, and didn't do a background check. If they had, I would have disclosed my felony, even though it could have cost me the job. Now my Parole Officer says he wants to call my supervisor to verify employment, but I don't want my employer to know about my felony. I specifically asked my P.O. not to contact my work, because I don't want to get fired or for my coworkers to know about my past. Can he legally do this? Is he violating my privacy rights if he does this without my consent? Can I be fired for not disclosing my felony, even though I was never asked about it? I offered to give him copies of my paycheck stubs, which should be sufficient. Will he still need to contact my employer after receiving my check stubs as proof of employment?

Last edited:

Curt581

Can he legally do this?
Absolutely.

Is he violating my privacy rights if he does this without my consent?
Considering that you are on parole and have few, if any, real privacy rights... No, he isn't violating them.

Can I be fired for not disclosing my felony, even though I was never asked about it?
No, not just because you're a felon (unless your conviction has a substantial correllation to your present job, like someone convicted of theft working as a bank teller). However, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to come up with a different reason, if your employer so chose.

I offered to give him copies of my paycheck stubs, which should be sufficient.
Unfortunately, it's not for you to decide what is sufficient and what isn't. Your P.O. does that.

You need to get used to the idea that your Parole Officer is in charge right now. He holds ALL the cards. Think of a boot camp enlistee and a drill sergeant. If he says it, you do it. If he says "jump", you better be already in the air when you ask "how high?"

Will he still need to contact my employer after receiving my check stubs as proof of employment?
He can, and probably will. If you don't cooperate, he can drop your butt in jail, pending a hearing to revoke your parole. At said hearing, a refusal to allow your PO to contact your employer won't go over very well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">