• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to vacation pay after termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

codyboy

I'm from Ohio and was recently told my services were no longer needed, and that I was terminated immediately. I worked in a machine shop and had just gotten a production report that reflected incorrect information; this report had supposedly been a big factor in the review I had received the week before. The production report showed me working there with very poor production rates during a two week period I had been on medical leave (without pay)due to injuries sustained in a car accident. My direct supervisor didn't understand what I was trying to explain to him and sent me to his manager. The manager, after some discussion did "run some more numbers" based only on the days I really worked but said it didn't change my rate enough to merit an increase. I set the numbers back down on his desk, said fine and turned to go back to work. Before I got out the door I was told I was terminated - I didn't stick around for the reason why. The next day when I went back to get my tools, my boss told me he had been told I was fired for insubordination.
My paychecks show that I have 80 hrs of vacation available to use, and the company has no written rules - I'm being told now I cannot have my vacation pay, even though it was earned in 2000. I feel I'm entitled to this money - but the HR Mgr says it's up to the owner's son, who told me this morning on the phone that I basically quit and am not entitled to it. He also said I'm lucky they aren't protesting my unemployment claim.
Do I have any recourse to get this vacation pay? I have no job, assume they'll give me a bad refeerence and need the money!

B

buddy2bear

You are entitled to your vacation pay if it were actually earned. File a claim with your State's wage & hour division.

C

codyboy

right to vacation pay

Buddy2bear, thanks for the quick response. Do you know how I go about filing the claim you suggested with my state's wage & hour division? Is this through the unemployment bureau, or how do I find them? Thanks for any insight you can give me.

B

buddy2bear

Surf the web for your State's govenment website or go to the phone book under "State Government." Should be listed under "Wage & Hour Division." Call them and find out what you have to do. Some States allow you to file a claim by computer and some request you to come into their offices with your paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">