• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

youknow1983

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My great Aunt passed away on Oct 17, 2008. She had a trust setup and my uncle is the executer. Her house is estimated at $500,000 and her money in Stock and bonds is approx. $200,000. There are 13 of us who get $10,000. The rest is slpit between the 4 brothers of my grandmother (deceased). My question is how long does my uncle have to wait to distribute the money to everyone. I was told 4 months....is this true? Thanks!

Dandy Don

It sounds reasonable. It will take some time to sell the home and to get the stock sold (IF that is what his intentions are, to sell the stock).

anteater

Well, we were told we ....
There is no "we". Your uncle is in charge of administering the trust. And, if it is a trust, then he is a Trustee, not an executor.

...we [he, that is, uncle] can't even seel the stock or put the house on the market for 4 months.
Probably incorrect, but, without knowing all the curcumstances, nobody can say for certain. And, inconsequential, in any event.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">