• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do i fight this ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glad2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? san diego, ca

back in march, my wife was dropping off her mother and my 18 month old son at her mothers house. she pulled into the short driveway to let them out but her bumper was hanging over the sidewalk. there was a parking person just waiting to swoop in. she pulled up in her little cart and told my wife she had to move. my wife was trying to get my son out of his car seat and he bumped his head and was crying. my wife tried to explain (as the car was running) that she was just dropping them off and leaving. the cop would not let her calm him down, she had to move NOW.the front door is 15 feet away. the cop even offered to hold my son. now, this is a small quiet surburban street. my mother-in-law had already gone inside and came back out to grab my son so that my wife could leave and she did. the cop said that she could give her a ticket but just asked that she move the vehicle.(which my wife did) my mother-in-law took my son in the house and my wife left to her doctors appointment.total time was 5 minutes. turns out that the cop wrote a ticket after the fact and it was mailed to our old address. (registration address wasnt updated) (i know this was our fault) but we never got the ticket to appeal it. so last week we go to pay our registration and find out that we owe $100 for this 5 minute incident. we have spoken to the parking dept and they arent willing to waive or reduce this to the orginal $45 even though no real PARKING violation occured. can they really not allow you to park in a private driveway. like i said the drive is short, my wife drives a civic and was pulled all the way up. the ticket claimed the sidewalk was blocked 100%. (not true) and as i stated, she was just dropping them off.

any help would be great. i know im at a disadvantage because it happened in march but we just found out.

thanks in advance

efflandt

I don't know how many people in CA actually use sidewalks, but if the law says you cannot park on a sidewalk, then no part of a car can even be hanging over a sidewalk (might block a wheelchair).

The officer sounds anal retentive, but it does not sound like your wife has any legal defense. How would she explain why she neglected to advise the DMV of her change of address within the required time period?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">