• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of limitations on a will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dasani

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Is there an allotted amount of time to inquire on my grandmother's will on my Mom's behalf (My brother and myself are POA for her). After the funeral this past August, my relatives emailed me for her SS# and I said no and I told them that we were the new POA since May. My aunt (and old POA) might have found my Mom's SS# or found it among my grandmothers belongings.

Thank you :)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

curb1

What were your reasons for not giving your mom's S.S. #? Was the relative who asked, the personal representative for your grandmother's estate?

Dasani

Hi Curb,

I wouldnt give them her SS# because they would tell me what is was for. My aunt was horrible to my mother (her step-sister) and only cared to get involved after she found out she had alzheimer's. The rest of Mom's step-siblings follow my aunt like lemmings.

curb1

They should have told you what the number was for. To settle the estate they would need her S.S. number (if she is a beneficiary). It will be best to open communication about this, even if it is difficult. Try to separate business from emotions and get this finished.

Dasani

I tried calling and emailing both my aunt and uncle and haven't heard a response. I was thinking of faxing to my aunt the most current POA with supporting paperwork that indicates the POA change was legal and before my mom became medically unable to handle her personal affairs. Would this be an acceptable way to make contact when they will not return my phone calls.

I was also wondering if anything was left to my mom, can they not go months without letting us know?

Thank you again Curb

curb1

You need to continue to call. You need to be very courteous to these people. If you are not you will be a disservice to your mother while acting as her POA. Yes, they can wait months. Your attitude can influence the time. Keep a very good attitude regardless of how they act.

Dandy Don

Normally the will is filed within 30-90 days after the death. You can check at the county courthouse probate court to see if a will has been filed--if it has been, you can get a copy there. Were you aware that any POA is supposed to provide an accounting of any monies received to prove that the monies were spent on the person's care?

Hopefully there are some assets left in the estate but don't be surprised if there is not very much.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">