• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heading4thend

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
I am inheriting a fair amount of money from my grandmothers estate and am wondering if there is a maximum amount you can recieve before having to pay taxes on it. She lived out of state.

anteater

Generally, as the recipient of a bequest, you do not have a tax liability.

If the estate is large enough, there may be federal or state estate taxes due. But the estate is liable for those and the administrator should be taking care of them before any distributions are made.

There may be state inheritance tax depending upon the state where grandmother resided. Maybe a dozen states still have inheritance taxes. Usually, a will specifies that the estate handles those, also.

tranquility

Again, I am astonished at the inability to read. The only income tax *you* will pay on the inheritance is *possibly* on the income it earned after death and before you received it. (Unless we're talking about an IRA or 401K-type scenario.)

anteater

No, it is not.

(I almost hesitate to mention this since it causes confusion when we do. But, for completeness sake....

If the estate has taxable income while it is being administered - say, interest income - the estate must report the income and may have a tax liability. The estate may pay the income tax itself or, if the income is distributed to beneficiaries, it may issue what is called a Form K-1 so that the beneficiaries report the income on their own tax returns. If there is a significant amount of income, it is usually better to have the beneficiaries report it due to differences in the marginal tax rates for estates and individuals.

The distribution of the deceased's assets to you is not subject to income tax. There is a possibility, slight in most cases, that you could receive part of any income that the estate realizes and have to report it on you income tax return. But, don't sweat it.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">