• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tow Yard fees on Liability Released Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jale127

California

Situation:

-Car was under my name at the DMV.
-Car was sold and passed through 2 parties before reaching 3rd and last unofficial owner.
-Car was never registered under new owner.
-I recieve notification this car was towed and I was instructed to bring proof of release of liability.
-I went to DMV filed a release of liability and brought it back to tow yard. They tell me I am good with them and that I don't have to worry about the car.
-I recieve a letter from a collection agency saying I owe $1300 after lien sale.

Questions:
-Am I legally required to pay this fee?
-Is there anything I can do to fight this either against the tow yard or the 3rd person that had the car under his possession?

seniorjudge

Q: -Is there anything I can do to fight this either against the tow yard or the 3rd person that had the car under his possession (which i can get a hold of).

A: Sue the bad person in small claims court for the actual dollar amount of your direct damages.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You may have a problem, as you did not file the release of liability when you actually sold the car.
Anybody can say a car was sold when faced with tow/storage fees...

Jale127

If i were to go after the last buyer, how would i go about doing it? what would I need to take it to small claims?

The Occultist

Thanks. Is there anyway to move this thread to small claims forums?
Mods may not read every post in every thread, so your request may not get noticed. I say go ahead and "report" my post here (do this by clicking the little triangle thing with an exclamation point in the top-right corner of my post), and you will be prompted for a reason for the report; just go ahead and put in there that you would like this thread moved.

If thread doesn't end up being moved, the please lock and/or delete this thread and start anew in the appropriate forum.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">