• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile Larceny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NoMoreCollege

I'm from Massachusetts. I have a Juvenile Court hearing on Thursday with the terms of release stating "personal recognizance (promise to appear) of $300". I'm not quite sure what that means.

But here's the story:

I'm 17 and I'm extremely frightened. I stole about $320 from Macy's and was caught on camera and followed by the store detective. I was arrested and put into juvenile lock-up for 3 hours until my bail was posted. I'm a college-bound, honors/AP high school senior and this is my first offense ever. I realize that this is the worst thing I can ever have done, and I wish that I could rescind my actions. I realized what I did is considered a felony because of the amount stolen. I'm frightened of being charged with a felony and being sentenced to jail.

My questions here are:

What is the worst punishment I can receive?
What is most likely to happen?
Will my parents need to go with me to the court hearing?
Will writing an apology letter help my case?
Will bringing up my academic standing help?
Why could I be such an idiot and even steal?

cyjeff

What is the worst punishment I can receive?
Likely is community service, a large fine and probation. A first offense usually does not involve jail time.

You will also be receiving a civil demand letter requiring you to pay a civil fine back to the retailer. Pay it. This will be above and beyond any criminal fine you receive.

What is most likely to happen?
See above.

Will my parents need to go with me to the court hearing?
Yes.

Will writing an apology letter help my case?
Not at all. Have no contact with the retailer whatsoever. You cannot unring this bell by saying you are really sorry.

Will bringing up my academic standing help?
Maybe. Probably not.

Why could I be such an idiot and even steal?
I cannot answer that question.

I will say that between the criminal fine, the civil fine and the cost of an attorney, you are probably looking to spend between 3 and 5 grand. And yes, you need an attorney.

If you haven't told your parents about this, I recommend you do it today.

NoMoreCollege

Thanks for answering CyJeff.

What would the typical fine from the retailer be then? Around $1000?

And what if I have no means to afford a lawyer. Would I be appointed a public defendant, or something of the like on the day of the hearing?

Even if I don't write an apology letter, being remorseful would help my case. Unfortunately, I understand how the law sees things in black and white. I'm resigned to not getting accepted at college and wish that I had not taken those items for my friend. One stupid mistake can ruin anyone's lifetime - I can understand that saying now. And there goes my career.

seniorjudge

What would the typical fine from the retailer be then? Around $1000?
I don't know; it could vary widely.

And what if I have no means to afford a lawyer. Would I be appointed a public defendant, or something of the like on the day of the hearing?
You need to ask for a lawyer to be appointed for you at the earliest opportunity.

Even if I don't write an apology letter, being remorseful would help my case. Unfortunately, I understand how the law sees things in black and white. I'm resigned to not getting accepted at college and wish that I had not taken those items for my friend. One stupid mistake can ruin anyone's lifetime - I can understand that saying now. And there goes my career.
There are lots of thieves in colleges and universities all around the country. Some of them are students.

How many times had you done this before you got caught?

NoMoreCollege

There are lots of thieves in colleges and universities all around the country. Some of them are students.

How many times had you done this before you got caught?
This is my second time ever. The first, had I been caught, would have been written off as a misdemeanor since it was a t-shirt. But this is my first time being prosecuted.

I'm frightened.

seniorjudge

This is my second time ever. The first, had I been caught, would have been written off as a misdemeanor since it was a t-shirt. But this is my first time being prosecuted.

I'm frightened.
Clear something up for me: Were you frightened when you were stealing or frightened after you got caught?

NoMoreCollege

I was frightened when I was stealing. When I was caught I was still scared, but I realized that what I had done was wrong and was resigned.

I will have a criminal record if I'm convicted. I'm just worried that I will have to spend time in jail, that I will not get accepted into any universities or colleges, and that I will have a difficult time finding a job in the future. With a lawyer or legal defender, may my punishment be lessened so that I won't have to go to jail? And will I be on probation?

Again, I'm from Massachusetts, and I'm aware that what I've been charged with is considered a felony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">