• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collecting on a judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

allwetinohio

I have a long complaint that led to a lawsuit that was finally mediated and reached a settlement agreement. That's what we do in Ohio when we're poor. The owners of an apartment complex drained their surface water on my property, without permission and by tresspass. We agreed to transfer an easement for a stated purpose if they performed the necessary retention work to prevent flooding. Did I mention that this was a long case? They agreed because they had a buyer for thier property. Once the property sold (after the case was settled and unknowned to us), we invested in life rafts, pool coushins, even a small boat.
We are going into the 3rd year after the settlement and still nothing has been done. The agreement specifically states that a retention pond must be built to code and fenced and maintained.
I'm not even sure what my question would be.

JETX

And what was their response when you sent them a letter (Certified RRR) asking for their schedule for complying with the agreed judgment???

Their response would be important in determining the next step.

[Edited by Halket on 02-23-2001 at 04:17 PM]

A

allwetinohio

We agreed to the settlement in October of 98It was finalised in Jan of 99. Nov of 99 they asked if we would prefer take a cash settlement for $15,000 to $18,000 instead of doing the work.We turned it down and said do the work. In May of 2000 we asked again when they would start the work and demanded they start immediately. No answer. July of 2000 we pressed for an answer and recieved it in October of 2000. They claimed it was a small job and they couldn't get a prefered contractor to do the job and asked for a little indulgence.

JETX

File a motion with the original court asking that the court order the enforcement of the agreed judgment. If the Defendants fail the court order, then you can ask that the Court take action for Contempt of Court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">