• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pension without Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lxa1801

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My mother recently passed and just started collecting her pension from her nurse's union. (She retired in July of this year). She did not name a beneficiary on her pension. My understanding is that it will then go to her estate and be distributed according to the will. Is this correct?

Thanks for any help!

lxa1801

Thanks! I actually went by there this morning and this unfriendly woman said there was nothing they could do. I figure I'll ask my lawyer on Friday when I meet with him. Thanks for the help!

FlyingRon

I believe you are correct (it's part of the estate). The terms of the pension (as others have stated) will indicate what survivor's benefit (if any) there is. This should be handled when the will is probated. The pension administrator is under no obligation (and probably well advised not to) deal with anybody other than the designated executor/representative of the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">