• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice and Opinion on any possible recourse for felony conviction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shelzmike

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I am at my wits end here and utterly depressed about my situation. Quick history:

I was convicted on 2 counts of forgery and 2 counts of uttering in 2000 for a stupid and non-thinking mistake. I worked for my then-girlfriends mom's company and for some stupid reason decided to write a couple of checks to myself and cash them. Dumb, I know, so I do not need anyone telling me that.

The thing is that these convictions are obviously felonies, which has essentially destroyed my life since then.

When I was convicted, the judge ordered a pre-sentencing report and I ended up getting 2 years, all suspended, fines, restitution, and probation. No jail time at all. The reason? Well, the presentencing report (which I thank God for) showed that this act was not in my normal character and was just that, a stupid mistake. I was 20 at the time. Before then, I was what you would call a model citizen I suppose.

I had never been in trouble before, besides one speeding ticket when I was 16. I was a 4.0 student, and a 5 year volunteer for the Rescue Squad - I volunteered for numerous community service organizations.

Just before I committed the crime, I was diagnosed with severe generalized anxiety disorder + panic attacks that seemed to stem from a hyperactive adrenaline gland. Anyway, I was put on a drug at the time called Effexor - it was new and essentially worked for my anxiety, but also made me basically emotionless - not caring, in other words. See, my GAD caused me to worry and care too much and this drug did the opposite. I realized this undesirable side effect about a year later and stopped taking the effexor all together. While it may sound like a cop-out to some, and I never thought about it at the time, but I think that the effects of the Effexor caused me to make this stupid judgement call - I basically just did not care - however, this is not part of my personality really and my pre and post conviction life has show that. Now, I am not going to say "The Effexor made me do it" I did it and take full responsibility - I am just saying that I am willing to bet anything that had I not been on it - I would have cared what would have happened to me and probably would not have done it.

I had a court appointed attorney who was okay I suppose, but did not really even fight the charges at all or even present a case really. All I remember is going in, talking about the charges, the judge finding me guilty and then getting sentenced. I had no trial. At the time, I did not know any better and had not received any good advice. Anyhow, my fines, fees, and restitution were around $4000 and I paid them all within a very short time frame. I was also (as told to me by my P.O.) a model probationee(if that is even a word). I held a job, checked in when I needed to and never got into any trouble.

In fact, I have went back to the same person I was before the incident. I have not gotten in trouble at all - not even any more speeding tickets! Despite the uphill climb that many felons have, I managed to get a great job, got married, have three childrens, own my home, etc. I am also going to school FT at Liberty University, the county baseball coach, and local Webelos Scouts Den leader.

My point is that this cannot be described as anything other than a stupid mistake and (to be quite honest, ignorance of the law - I understand - no excuse for that :) ). In all honesty, had I known that it was a felony - I probably wouldn't have done it at all. I realize that makes no difference, but just thought I would throw that in.

My point to all of this is that I feel as though I have paid my dues for my mistake, yet I will be paying for them for the rest of my life, which is highly unfair, especially for a non-violent crime. It is beyond me how I could go out and beat someone until they are near death and end up with only a misdemeanor, yet I write on a piece of paper and that is a felony.

Now, my right to, essentially, be a functioning citizen has been eliminated. I cannot vote, serve on a jury, get any other good job (I am essentially stuck where I am at because so many places are doing background checks now, I do not want to risk trying to change jobs and putting my family's finances in jeopardy - do not get me wrong, I am thankful that I have the job that I do have), run for office (which, believe it or not I have thought about), or own a gun to protect my family.

I realize that the first items (except getting a better job) can be restored in VA and I plan on doing that soon (there is a lot of beauracracy to go through here and records that "cannot be found" but I am working on that); however, it seems (or so I gather) that my gun rights will never be restored. This is what gets me the worst, to be honest. Now, I have no means really to protect my family. I am obviously not a violent person or even a risk - I just want to be able to protect myself and my family that is all. It seems as though they want to be sure that I live legally (which I have done before and since) and die when in danger.

So, that being said, do I have any other possible recourse in VA besides restoration of rights for everything except gun ownership? I mean, (and I am sure this is just wishful thinking) is there no way to argue and easily prove that I am an exception to the rule? That this is not who I am and that I was onl a criminal in that total of 10 minutes it took me to write and cash the checks? Do I really deserve to be branded this way for the rest of my life? Just for that?

I have read about pardons and expungement, but do not really understand (nor think that I would qualify) it. Any advice or comments would be great. Thanks.

Mike

cyjeff

Sorry. There is no "Mike specific" law that we can use to have you regarded differently from all of the other felons.

shelzmike

I was not asking about Mike specific law. I was asking in general if there was any recourse that ANY felon could take. Obviously, there would be qualifications and such and many would not qualify for any such actions should they exist, but on the other hand others would.

Forgive me for explaining my situation fully - not trying to take a holier than thou attitude by any means; however, it saddens me that I must be included with the "felon" classification for what I did. It has nothing to do with a selfish me attitude. However, it is my reponsibility to my family and myself to create as good a life as I can with as many opporutnites as possible. Like I said before, I did it, I do not deny that. I knew what I was doing at the time, I do not deny that either. What I did not know is how it would affect my life now. There are instances of live and learn, but this is not just that. I obviously have learned, and paid my dues, yet I am still suffering a life-long sentence. Is there no answer to this?

FlyingRon

You could ask the governor or the President for a pardon. You might have better luck waiting for Obama rather than W.

You may think that forgery and theft was a lesser crime than a misdemeanor assualt, but the state legislature feels differently.

Non-violent felonies are fairly easy to get rights restored in Virginia. It just takes time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">