• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking on Easement or Right of Way?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Popeye2000

Gainesville, Florida

I received a parking tiocket for parking in front of my house. There are no signs posted in front of my house nor the two adjacent houses, although I have been told that there is a utility easement. Furthermore if there is a utility easement how far does it extend? I was parked about 10 feet from the road with the understanding of an exception granted by the city for football game days [M.O. 30.56 (c)(4)(h)]. I need to check the utility easement on the property where I am renting, before I decide to fight the ticket. Any help would be appreciated.

So far looking through the city's cite I cannot find easement, and find it difficult to find public records of easements online as well (without paying for them).

Thanks in advance.

FlyingRon

What were you charged with violating?

I've never heard of anything that says you can't park on a utility easement.

Popeye2000

I was cited for violation of M.O. 26-47(a)(3)(b)

Sec. 26-47. Prohibited in specified places or under certain circumstances.
(a) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or the direction of a police officer or official traffic-control device, no person shall:
(3) Park a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except temporarily for the purpose of, and while actually engaged in, loading or unloading merchandise or passengers:
b. At any place where official signs prohibit parking.

When I spoke to the ticket lady pointing out that no signs exist in front of my house, she told me that it didnt matter since it was a city utility easement, so thats where I came up with that. I had to appeal the ticket to the city manager who denied my defense. I just received the denial letter where the City Manager referred to the area as a public right of way. So now I am confused.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">