• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Services/District Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tedster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.
Has anyone had experience reporting to Adult Protective Services or the district attorney's office?
I'm curious to hear others' experiences because, after documenting financial abuse and providing witnesses who testified to the crimes, APS has decided not to pursue any further investigation. I am waiting to hear from the district attorney, but I am doubtful they care either.
The evidence is blatantly obvious and, if anyone caught a recent ABC 20/20 episode in which a young guy's identity was stolen by his bio dad, who ran up more than a couple of million debt in his son's name, similar in nature and evidence.
What are the possible reasons for not prosecuting (DA) or forwarding the report to the DA (APS' responsibility)?
I've found the same complacency (can't be ineptitude because no one is that inept) with CPS on a number of cases too that merited more response.

Dandy Don

What reason did they give for not wanting to follow up? If you are referring to elderly financial abuse, you need to be consulting with a family law attorney or a local organization/group that deals with such cases. Sometimes the evidence is not definitive when absolute proof/documentation must be required. You have an obligation to also report to the police on this.

tedster

The reasons given were that the person in question was deemed competent and the thieves were deemed "responsible". Nothing could be further from the truth. Two physicians have diagnosed Alzheimer's and incompetence (dating as far back as nearly two years). The "responsible" ones have taken millions of dollars using power of attorney and used for themselves, unbeknownst to the victim.
Truly an upside world. Someone is on the take at APS or they realize that the DA will do nothing, so why should they.
Those are my two best guesses.
What are others' thoughts?
Ah, the police? The intake officer wanted nothing to do with the case and referred to APS (Adult Protective Services).

seniorjudge

Two physicians have diagnosed Alzheimer's and incompetence (dating as far back as nearly two years).

And what did APS say when you showed them documentation from these two physicians?

tedster

"And what did APS say when you showed them documentation from these two physicians? "
They simply do not answer the question and refuse to address that particular issue.
I certainly have brought it up more than once.

Dandy Don

Is it YOUR relatives that were taken advantage of? Do a GOOGLE search to see if there are any local organizations in your area that handle elderly financial abuse and/or abuse of power of attorney. If there aren't any then you or whoever the affected relatives of these people are need to be talking to a family law attorney to start a lawsuit of elderly financial abuse and abuse of POA--it's a slam dunk winner for anyone who takes it on.

The police and APS may not want to do anything if they are biased and if they perhaps know the parties involved or recognize that it will be an expensive case (for them) to prosecute.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

tedster

Dandy Don, you've been very helpful in helping me sort out the reality of the situation. Sorry for not getting back sooner to the forum. I actually spoke to one of the big wigs at the District Attorney's office today and figured out pretty quickly that they are not interested, and he basically channeled me to the idea of contacting the district attorneys in the states where the major bank accounts were ransacked.
I did not want to get into the discussion that the two in New York are still ripping their mother off there (social security checks, credit card, checking account in NY, etc...) because I knew I would get a line of BS and excuses. I clearly got the message that they do not care and want to pass this case on to anyone or no one.
Ethics and decency are a rare commodity these days, but I can still write emails and letters and pass on the facts of a no-brainer case. At some point it will reach the desk of someone who actually does care.

Dandy Don

You must be more proactive to get something done. Just hoping that the DA's will act is only going to delay the matter and let the thieves keep on stealing!! Get an attorney NOW experienced with elderly financial abuse and DO SOMETHING! You could even contact Social Security on your own to let them know what is happening, without an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">