• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell Phone Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Whoameye

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I had no idea where to put this, but the thread below me is about electronic harassment so I thought I would post here. For the past three years I have been receiving restricted calls with no answer. Usually the person breathes into the phone, or I hear a television on. They come in spurts and I am not sure if it is the same person. It has been as bad as 35 in one day. They always breathe into the phone. If I don't pick up they will call until I do. I can not change my phone number, I must keep this number. Over the past three years they have called 587 times. I have been keeping track of the calls, and they are also on my phone bills. Usually it is after 1Am and goes on for an hour. How do I get a court order to reveal the number. I have reported it to the police in the past, but they didn't do anything. I can't take it anymore. I decided to post here now because it is 2:16 Am and they just called again. This is the 6th time tonight. I have to leave my phone on for work.

Go to bed before 1 and turn your phone to the lowest setting? Set a separate ring for work than for other numbers? I can set restricted numbers to have a certain ring tone (and I have) and I don't answer those.... ever. It seems like an easy fix if you spend a few minutes playing with your phone. Set it to the most ambient ring tone you have on your phone, and then you can fall asleep to some relaxing music! :D

Whoameye

I already asked Verizon they said I can only change my number, but thanks for the advice. Maybe I can set restricted calls to vibrate? I just hope they get tired of calling me at some point. Last three nights in a row they have been calling at the same exact time on the dot. They start at 1:18AM and go onto to 2:29AM exactly. It's so weird. Sometimes they do call during the day too though. I just can't believe it has been three years.

Could you change your number and inform your employer of the change? That would help you avoid the annoying calls, but at the same time make you available for work. If you explain the situation to them, perhaps they'll be willing to accomodate the change.

Last edited:

Whoameye

Its not that I can't change my number for work. I don't want to change it. I have had the same number for 9 years. So many people know that number as the only way to reach me. Sometimes I get calls from people I have not spoken to in a long long time. I don't want to cut off everyone I knew and have not kept in touch with. Thats not fair, and i'm not going to let some stupid restricted caller force me to change my number.

Ian_Y

I know what you mean, I've had the same phone number for ages. That honestly is really scary to me. Over three years, I would like to get to the bottom of that. If there is no way to unblock the numbers through the phone company or through the police, then simply stop answering restricted calls...honestly, that creeps me out just thinking about it. You never know who that could be..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">