• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile Question..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hotrod9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida,

Are juvenile records sealed after the child becomes an adult or should I say, reaches the age of eighteen or twenty one? If a child had a felony when he was twelve years old, would this felony charge be sealed or remain opened for the rest of his life? Meaning, would the child be able to go into the Military, become a police officer and so on? I guess what I am trying to say is, what opportunities would be open and/or closed for the child? Any help with this matter would be useful and thank you for your time…..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It depends on the seriousness of the crimes committed, age at which they were committed, and state's age at which a person is viewed as a juvenile delinquent. Generally, most crimes will be expunged by the age of 18. You can legally join the military at the age of 17 but can wait an additional year till the records are expunged.
What makes you say that generally crimes are expunged at age 18?:rolleyes:

Crime may be eligible for sealing or expungement, but it is a reach to imply that it happens as a matter of course with no action by the criminal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">