• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abg582

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Hi, I am a 22 year old college student about to graduate. I have already been made an offer by an employer, to which I have accepted. They are now running a background check.

2 years ago, I made a stupid one-time mistake of trying to steal a cd under $20 from Wal-Mart. I was stopped, gave my information, and was released. No police were involved. About a month later I received a letter from a law firm asking me to pay a $250 out of court settlement, which I paid.

I am now concerned if this will show up on my background check.

Thanks!

PJ Weber

About a month later I received a letter from a law firm asking me to pay a $250 out of court settlement, which I paid.
A Civil Demand for restitution, not an out of court settlement. This never went to court
Civil or Criminal
I am now concerned if this will show up on my background check
Since there was no criminal penalty (court) there will be no record

If Wal-Mart is a part of the National Retailer Database your name could show
up on their records, this could be a problem if you seek employment in retail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">