• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This can't be life!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pnoble32

:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio
my 16 year old son was recently in a fight after school. the police were called but i wasnt notified. the next day my son called me and told me that the boys mother was following him home talking smack. by the time i got there, a police officer was talking to my son and his friend: asking them what happened. the boys told us that my son and another young man were fighting one on one. apparently in the mist of the fight, the young man lost a gold ring. the officer told me that the young man said he didnt know who had his ring and at that at that point the boys mother didnt want to pursue any charges. the next day at around 1pm i got a phone call from the county detention home saying that my son had been arrested at school and charged with robbery. a felony2. his court day was to be the next day. my son was able to call me at about 8pm that day. i asked him what happened, and he said that the police came to his school, asked him what happend. he explained to them about the fight. they asked about the ring. he said he knew nothing about a ring. they asked him to step outside of the school building, read him his rights and arrested him. i went down to the police station and got a copy of both police reports. i read them both only to see that the police put words into my son's and his friend's mouths. the police report stated that they said they admitted that they had jumped the young man, and that they both saw the ring in question. that didnt surprise me though seeing that the boy was puerto rican and the cop was also puerto rican. they shared quite a few laughs in spanish language. imagine that.
when i went to the court hearing, the magistrate made a decision based on police report. she decided to keep my son there at the detention home. Even though i explained to her that my son has a 3.5 GPA, is very active in sports, and in church, doesnt give my any problems at home, has never gotten in any trouble with the law, and has definite plans on going to college, she declined to let me take him home. She said that normally she'd let first time offenders go home, she wasnt letting him because from what the police report says, she believes that my son is still a threat to the young man that he got into a fight with. she set him another court date for that following monday which is 5 days away. I havent yet gotten a lawyer other than the one appointed to us because i wanna know how serious this is. now keep in mind also that he isnt being charged with fighting at all. no one saw the young man with a ring, but since the mother said there was a ring valued at 200 dollars and its missing, this becomes robbery. I am definitely going to fight this because robbery will NOT get stamped on my childs head. However, my question(s) is 1. did the officer have a right to be questioning my son the way he was before i pulled up? 2. did the officer(s) have a right to go to his school, question him, ask him to step outside of the building and arrest him? and 3. did the school have the right/authority to allow the police to arrest my child without no one notifying me? might i also add that after the detention home called to let me know my son was there, i called the school principal to find out why they would allow that to happen, i was left on hold for 20 minutes. i hung up and called back and no one wanted to talk to me about it. i left messages on voicemails and no calls were returned. Please someone, help me understand this a little better. let me know if im the one overreacting. let me know if the law can make their own laws.

outonbail

1. did the officer have a right to be questioning my son the way he was before i pulled up?
Yes
2. did the officer(s) have a right to go to his school, question him, ask him to step outside of the building and arrest him?
Yes
3. did the school have the right/authority to allow the police to arrest my child without no one notifying me?
Yes
might i also add that after the detention home called to let me know my son was there, i called the school principal to find out why they would allow that to happen, i was left on hold for 20 minutes. i hung up and called back and no one wanted to talk to me about it. i left messages on voicemails and no calls were returned.
Irrelevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">