• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit Claim to great child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helperdude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I am 88, live alone and in poor health. My only income is Social Security. I have Medi-Care and Medi-Cal. I was recently admitted to the hospital and advised I should have 24 hour care in my home. My great granddaughter and her husband agreed to move into my home to help with my needs and prevent my selling my home and moving into a boarding home. I currently have a living Trust giving my 5 children the proceeds of my home after my death. My daughter has power of attorney and is on the title of my home with me. I want to quit claim my home to my great granddaughter and her husband. I want to remove my name and leave my daughter's name. Upon my death, my granddaughter will mortgage the home for an agreed amount to distribute to my children. My question's are: Will my house be re-assessed upon the quit claim causing the property taxes to go up? Will my granddaughter have to pay a gift tax for the value of the property? Will Medi-Cal or hospitals have any claim to my home once my name is removed? Will my living children have any claim to the home wanting full value of the home, if I agree on a set amount to have my great granddaughter mortgage the home? I appreciate my great granddaughter's help in allowing me to stay in my home and I want to make sure it works out well for her and her.
Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

What you are doing is bad for you and bad for your great grandchild (doubly so if she is a minor). It was already probably a mistake to put your daughter on the title. Medicare (and it's related plans) will not be fooled by such a transfer.

If you have convoluted things like what you envision, the proper way to do them is to change the trust to reflect those wishes.

You should contact a planner/lawyer well versed on these issues before making any further mistakes..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">