• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting at Wal-Mart.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhett1021

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Recently I was caught attempting to shoplift an item value at approximately $14.50 from a Wal-Mart in my area.

However, in early 2006, Wal-Mart made a extensive change to their shoplifting policy that states there will be no prosecution if the person charged is not between the ages of 18-65, AND if the value of the item is less than $25.

To the above ^, I shouldnt have spent 7 hours in jail.

With this, along with the scare chance that they will even appear at my hearing, let alone bring video evidence that I even attempted to steal, would it be enough to possibly get off of the charge compeltely?

FlyingRon

Wal*Mart policies will not affect a criminal charge. They may have decided that reporting small shoplifting incidents to the police isn't worth the effort, but once the police hear about it, it's up to the police.

I wouldn't bank on Wal*Mart failing to answer a subpoena. You better get a lawyer.

PJ Weber

And expect a Civil Demand for restitution (for up to $500) in the mail
from Wal*Mart, their lawyers, or a third party collection agency. Not
paying this could get you into bigger trouble

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">