• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Free-loaders taking money from elderly father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RosieLee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Hello:

I am hoping someone can help us. My husband's mother passed away a year ago last August. His father is almost 83 years of age and of a sound mind. He has fallen in love with a much younger woman, approximately 62, who is married. This couple, we feel, are taking advantage of my father-in-law. He has money and they are taking it.

So far he has given them a 2003 Toyata Camry, he helped "Bill" get a hearing aid for $7,000, and just yesterday "Harriet" got her wisdom teeth pulled and he paid for it. When they want to go visit their son (who is a Chiropractor) who lives out of town, my Father-in-law takes them, paying for the fuel and everything.

These people are free-loaders and yet he is spending his money on them like it is candy. Just so that you know, he is a religious person and does have a will made out to give all his money to his church. I have no problem with that. What I am concerned about is these people free-loading off of him. He may need a nursing home someday and have no money left to pay for it.

My husband (his son) and I are very concerned about this and don't know if we can do anything or not. We have talked with him more than once. My husband and his two sisters have talked about it often and even once a letter was sent to Harriet and her husband telling them we appreciate their helping "dad" but that now he should be on his own. But there was no response and nothing has changed.

All the siblings and their dad live in the same area. Is there anything we can do legally? The problem is that my Father-in-law has told this woman he loves her and when she is free, he wants to marry her. Harriet and Bill are not happy together. But their church forbids divorce and our father-in-law attends the same church. Yet, they still take advantage of him, taking his money for many small things here and there. His money is rapidly disappearing.

Is it a lost cause or is there anything we can do? Thanks so much for your help in this.

Dandy Don

Talk to a family law attorney. Are you absolutely sure he is of sound mind? If so then get his mental competency tested. And pay a private investigator a few hundred dollars to do a background check on these people to see if there is criminal activity in their background. The difficulty you are going to run up against is that he is going to argue it's his money to spend anyway he wants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">