• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

self surrendering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djbc78

Nevada. I was supposed to self surrender on September 3, 2008. I was waiting for the information from the federal B.O.P. as to where I was to surrender, but it never came. I was having some issues with my apartment complex, and, my home phone was not working due to no fault of mine. When I finally did get hold of my court appointed attorney (the day before my surrender) he gave me my surrender information, and said I had to be there by 2pm the next day. I had no way of getting there and since I was not informed by the 2 week before period of time the attorney said I had before a continuance should be filed, so I was not prepared for it. All that my attorney would say is "you better get there" he offered no help in any way. Then I called my pre-trial officer and left him a message asking what to do. He responded with another message stating that things could be resolved with no extra time but we had to act fast. I returned his call, and repeated several times but received no response. A request had been made for me to serve my time somewhere closer to my family in Chicago IL, so I had all of my things packed just in case. I was told by my attorney that the reason I did not receive the information from the government was because they sent it to every other address that I had except the one that I wrote down and had a picture taken with by the U.S. Marshall's. I want to turn myself in and handle my responsibility, but cannot seem to get any help from anyone. I have been trying to put some money together for an attorney, but have had no such luck, and would like to resolve this matter as quickly as possible. I just don't agree with the fact that I will be facing extra time if I was to just walk into the federal building and surrender. I have also re-evaluated my situation and feel that it would be better if my time is served here on the west coast, rather than back in Chicago.

seniorjudge

Assuming this is a federal case, go to the nearest federal marshal's office and turn yourself in.

You've lost any negotiating power you may've had by failure to turn yourself in on time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">