• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter wants Guardianship of other daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dopravda

I live in VA. My 19 year old daughter lives in GA. My 17 yr old daughter left home in VA to live with her sister in GA. She would like to register for High School, but cannot since my 19 year old does not have guardianship and we do not live in the area.

What woul be involved in granting legal guardianship and what are the pros and cons of doing this. We are not necessarily opposed to doing this, but do not want to end up in a legal quagmire or spend thousands of dollars to do this.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Are both the child's parents in agreement of giving guardianship? It usually doesn't take much but filing with the court that guardianship is being voluntarily granted to the 19 year old.

dopravda

Yes, both parents are in agreement - we are still married, etc.

Would this need to be filed in VA (where we live) or GA (where they live)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">