• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consent case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mazjr13

So I'm trying to call which US Supreme Court case holds that a person must not specifically state yes to consent to a search. For example if they're asked if their bags can be searched, and they say whatever, this is consent. Could anybody refer me to the case I am looking for? It would be greatly appreciated!

tranquility

The actual facts when consent is the issue are important. There is no case requiring a specific "yes" answer. You are doing legal research backwards. Without the facts, there is no issue. You go from the facts to the law (through case law) and not the reverse.

Give the facts and we can find the issue. If your issue is the person did not specifically say the term "yes" on the question of "can we search?" then you lose.

Like all fourth amendment issues, it is a totality of the circumstances. What are the circumstances?

Info edit:
For the determination of the basic question of what a reasonable person would understand from the exchange, see Florida v. Jimeno (1991) 500 U.S. 248.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">