• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I pay for atty costs over time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pinkygreen

State=Iowa

My mother passed away and I hired an attorney (referred by the atty. who drew up mom's will but practices in a different county) to handle her small estate
(didn't go to probate). The attorney I hired and I never had a written agreement and to
put it in a nutshell, I think he padded his hours (a lot). I have no recourse, but...
his statement doesn't have a "Pay By Date" or "Due Date" or "Minimum Amount
Due" ...I would like to know what I'm obligated to pay him. Can I legally pay him
say $100 a month for several years? (We've been tangling about the hours and
the "extras" that he claims...it would make me feel better to pay him a small
amount over time.(His bill is over $4,000...shocking since I thought it would be
around $2,000.) Please advise. Thank you in advance.

JETX

Ask the attorney to document the hours spent. Then, if you still feel that they are unreasonable, you should formalize your concerns in writing and ask for a review of the charges. If he refuses, or you are still not satisfied, you could consider filing a complaint with the state Bar Association.

As for the payments, you have to realize that you are attempting to 'play with' someone who can very easily (and cheaply) use the legal process to assure your payments and cause you to incur additional charges. I would not take this concern lightly (or as an attempt to 'get even'). Make every effort to pay the legal bill in a timely manner, whatever you eventually end up with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">