• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Frustrated and don't know what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kayleigh7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I am needing legal advice please. Back on January 31st I was involved in a car accident. I had hit a patch of ice and slid through an intersection resulting in me hitting another vehicle which propelled that car into another. I did not have insurance at the time and the officer at the scene of the accident wrote me a ticket. He asked me if the address on my license was a current address. I told him NO, that I had just moved the day prior and gave him my current address. I watched him write it down on a piece of paper. He never gave me the ticket instead he told me to go home that he would have to mail it. It was a really busy intersection and he still had to talk to the drivers of the other two vehicles. I went home like he said. I was told that the police report would be available by the next day or possibly the day after. I went and picked up the report two days later and asked when I should be expecting the ticket. They told me it could be anywhere from a couple of days to six months. I had watched the mail everday for the ticket so I could pay it and get it over with. I never got it.

On May 23rd I was driving from my house to pick up my daughter from my exhusband. I got pulled over for going too fast and when the officer ran my license it showed that I had two warrants for my arrest. One was failure to appear and the other was for not having insurance. My license apparantly had been revoked as well. I told the officer I didn't know why I would have a failure to appear if I've never been summoned to appear in the first place. He proceeded to arrest me and I had to have my boyfriend bail me out.

I found out that there were two mistakes made. One being that the officer said on his report that he gave me the tickets. My boyfriend was there and he even said that it was an absolute lie! The other mistake was they sent the tickets to my old address in Branson. I haven't lived there in a well over a year. Because of them being sent there I never got them or the summons to appear in court. I left a forwarding address but I guess after a year of not living there they stop. I went to great lengths to make sure I got all of this cleared up. I paid all my tickets, met with the judge in both the city I live in and got arrested in. Paid to get my license renewed and thought everything was fine.

well, I recently was arrested on November 15th in front of my 6 year old daughter on her birthday for a supposed DUI and Failure to register vehicle (which I had already taken care of when I met with the judge in the city I got arrested in). The problem is that I have NEVER had a DUI and told the officers this. They proceeded to arrest me anyways. I found out that the charges for the failure to register vehicle is an old charge that never got taken out of the system.

I had appeared in court (July 31st I believe) and talked to the judge and explained my situation about the driving on a revoked license. He said that I didn't have to pay anything and threw it out. I asked if there was anything else out there under my name and they took me into a back room to look and make certain, they said there was nothing else and that I was in the clear. But in September, they issued another warrant for my arrest and revoked my license after I had paid to get everything back to normal. Now I am having to do this all over again!!

When they were getting ready to release me on bail the lady told me "good news is you don't have a DUI" I told her that is what i've been trying to tell them all along and her response was "we are human and make mistakes too"..

I am really upset about this. I have paid a lot of money to the courts to get all of this stuff situated and taken care of. I am so frustrated and emotionally upset about this. I have a heart condition and the stress from all of this has caused me to have panic attacks and my heart to start having problems. I honestly am afraid to drive anymore for fear that the next time I get pulled over I'm going to get arrested for something. The worst part of all of this is the fact that my daughter was really upset and now has a fear that every cop is going to arrest her mommy. Not to mention the fact that my exhusband who is not a good person whatsoever was already running background checks on me and my boyfriend since the first arrest. Now I have to deal with him even more.

I am a good person and the only crimes that I am guilty of was I didn't have insurance at the time of the accident (I got insurance soon after) and that I have not had the money to get my car registered. Mostly because everytime I get money saved up for it, i'm having to pay it to the courts.

What are my legal options and do I have a case?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Giving your address to the police officer didn't obviate the need to also still tell the DMV.
Forwarding addresses are only good for a year. The prime reason they insist that you tell them the new address promptly is so that you can get the notices of suspension like this.

Actually according to your story you:

1. Failed to keep your address up to date at the DMV
2. Failed to have insurance
3. Failed to register your vehicle.
4. Caused an accident for failure to maintain control of your vehicle
5. Drove at excessive speed on another occasion.

While mistakes were made a good number of them were also made by you.
Other than the phantom DUI, there really weren't any on their part and none of them made a difference. You were arrested on failure to appear and driving without registration.

I see no case here. You can't pick and choose which laws you are going to obey and then get upset when it gets you sucked up into a less than optimal bureaucratic system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">