• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlclr57

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

I have a 20-year old daughter living at home, she has a 15 month old son who's lived with us since he was born. He's the only reason that she has been allowed to stay at home since she does not work, cannot seem to keep a job and is too busy having a social life and such. Since she's not working, she also has no money. For the past 6 months or so, I began to notice things disappearing from our house. When confronted she would always deny taking anything. Let's just says she has stolen quite a bit from us, mostly my things (jewelry, money, and the latest item - my laptop. I have not wanted to get the authorities involved, but at this point I am left with no choice but to press charges against her. Am I wrong to do this to my own child? Please can someone tell me what legal recourse I have, if I do go ahead and press charges, what the implications will be. Nothing else has helped. Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

outonbail

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

I have a 20-year old daughter living at home, she has a 15 month old son who's lived with us since he was born. He's the only reason that she has been allowed to stay at home since she does not work, cannot seem to keep a job and is too busy having a social life and such. Since she's not working, she also has no money. For the past 6 months or so, I began to notice things disappearing from our house. When confronted she would always deny taking anything. Let's just says she has stolen quite a bit from us, mostly my things (jewelry, money, and the latest item - my laptop. I have not wanted to get the authorities involved, but at this point I am left with no choice but to press charges against her. Am I wrong to do this to my own child?
Seems like the wrong would be the stealing of jewelry, money & a laptop.

Please can someone tell me what legal recourse I have, if I do go ahead and press charges, what the implications will be.
I'm not sure what it is your asking. However, if you are the victim of a crime, you have every legal right in the world to contact the authorities, report the theft(s) and tell them who you believe is responsible and why. Let them know you wish to have charges brought against the person you suspect committed the crime(s).

If the police believe there is enough evidence to support an arrest, they can arrest the person, or if they choose, they can forward a report to the detectives in their agency, so they can investigate further. If there is enough evidence then the DA would file the case and there would be an arrest warrant issued.
Aside from your wife, it makes no difference whether the person is related to you. However it can be more difficult to prove a relative and especially your own child, didn't have permission to take, sell or borrow items from the home they are not only welcome in, but are actually residing in.

Additionally, I don't believe the simple coincidence that these items happened to turn up missing, since your daughter moved in, will be enough to convince the DA to file charges against her. Your belief that she is responsible for the thefts, is at this point, purely speculative on your part.
Now if you were to discover that she pawned these items using her own name, at the local pawn shop, then the circumstantial evidence becomes much stronger and the DA may then have enough to convict her.

Nothing else has helped. Thank you.
Well seeing how she's 20 years old, it is certainly too late to make any corrections to your style of parenting. I'm not suggesting that you did anything wrong, as I know many families with three and four children, where there is that one black sheep that for some reason didn't learn the same respect, responsibility and ethics that all the other children were able to grasp growing up in the same household.

Now the repercussions of what your contemplating can also result in big problems for you and your family. First of all, if convicted, your daughter will end up with a criminal record for a theft related charge, This certainly doesn't help open any doors of opportunity if and when she does decide to get her act together. Once she's been convicted, this will always show up on any background checks she has to go through.

There can also be problems with her claiming your wife gave her permission to take these things and then you have mom choosing between supporting her husband or daughter if she has to testify. Moms also have a hard time when they know their children are in jail, so you might have her arrested and end up paying to bail her out so your wife will speak to you again.

I don't know your situation or how it will affect your wife, I just thought I'd throw these things out there since you sound like your trying to decide how you should handle this mess.

Another problem you have is the baby. Have you and your wife adopted the child or are you simply babysitting the child?
What will you do when your daughter leaves with the child just to spite you and your wife?

It's a shame that your daughter doesn't respect you and your property. But the call of having her arrested is entirely up to you. Just realize that once you bring the police into the matter, there is no turning back. If they have proof that she has committed a crime, they can prosecute her, even if at some point, you change your mind and want the charges dropped.

Even if they agreed to drop the charges against her, they will not be taking you very serious if this type of situation comes up again in the future.

But you need to stop her from stealing from you one way or the other.

I know this isn't legal advice, just thought I'd give my take on the matter.

My take: If it were my daughter, I'd kick her a$$ to the curb in a New York minute and make her bring the police and CPS if she wanted the child back! But that's just me.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">