• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

URGENT! PLEASE HELP! does sealed juvenile record show up on FBI background checks??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilnervousone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello all, I would tremendously appreciate any feedback and help on my urgent matter. Here's my issue.. I'm applying to teach English in Japan through the embassies and consulate of Japan. Besides the extensive app process there is an FBI criminal background check that will be conducted in the 3rd phase of selections. I'm not so proud of sharing this... but I was young, was easily influenced and made a couple of no no's. When I was 15, I was caught stealing a shirt at JCPenney and the judge ruled it as something less than a misdemeanor and slapped me with a small fine and 1 day of community service. My 2nd was really something (in my opinion) that shouldn't have even went to the courts. I was charged with a hit and run when I got in an accident 2 blocks away from my house. I parked my car in front of my house immediately after so technically it was considered leaving the scene of an accident. I don't exactly remember what happened with the ruling but I know I wasn't convicted of a hit and run. It was something else that I don't quite remember.. i might've not even been charged with anything and just had to pay the others car's damages. Anyway, I sealed my record once 18 and now I'm 23 applying for this program. Nothing is on my adult record, not even a speeding ticket. I graduated from a University with a BA and I'm trying to do great things for myself and others.

I dont know what to answer for the question: Have you ever been arrested, charged and/or convicted of any crime other than a minor traffic offense (ie. speeding or parking ticket), including a juvenile offense?

*If you answer Yes, you MUST complete the following:

A. Provide further explanation in Question #19 regarding the nature and date of the crime;

B. Submit a copy of your criminal record (provided by the court or law enforcement agency) which includes the date, location, nature and resulting action/penalty of the crime. This will be examined to decide your candidacy, as detailed under "Notification of Placement" in the General Information document. Please see full details in Application Instructions.

I wish I had the time to request a copy of my criminal record and see in advance but I'm sending out my application this Friday (2 days) so there's really no way to tell. I'm worried that if I select NO on the application, the FBI check might be able to go through the sealed record, see my juvenile history and disqualify me. I'm also worried that if I select YES, and my background check doesn't indeed turn out anything, it will raise red flags and make situations worse for me.

I've contacted the local juvenile dep't of the issue and the lady i spoke to said she couldnt even tell me anything because my record is sealed and they can't see. However, when contacting the Japanese Embassy in DC, they said the FBI checks are of higher clearance and can get around sealed record blocks and my record can be seen. The thing is, I don't even know if I have anything significant enough to warrant a YES answer/explanation. I know this is a lot of information and uncertainties but I would again, appreciate any and all advice and input on this matter before I submit my application. I have always dreamed of going to teach young children in Japan and I dont want this bump in the road to stop me.
:confused:

Last edited:

I cannot answer whether your indiscretions will bar you from attaining your goal of working overseas but I do believe that if you are dishonest on the application, you WILL be found out (whether by FBI check or bad luck, who knows and who cares?). The instructions on the application are clear. You should answer truthfully about whether you were arrested, charged and/or convicted. If you are trying to see if the company interested in helping you attain your DREAM is doing something illegal, I don't see it. I see you don't know if you were charged (and for what) but you need to find out. If you have aspirations higher than low-paying retail and it sure seems you do, this will come up more than just now. Find out about your record so you know in the future how to answer (not how to evade answering).

You need to grow up and take responsibility for your actions. Implying that your "no-no's" were somehow less significant because you were underage is not taking responsibility. And if you ran into a time constraint because you don't know how to answer truthfully, well sorry, tough.

Better luck next time.

**Btw, I am not trying to take such a tough line with you. I feel your pain, but unfortunately that's how life is sometimes. I hope it all works out for you. Really. But you will benefit by being honest not only with others, but with yourself. I don't see where you think you did anything wrong when you were younger and I'm willing to bet you have an attitude too many people have nowadays of entitlement. (I originally was going to blame just our young generation but heck, so many older folks have this problem too (specifically AIG bailout twice, etc.))

Off soapbox now. Sorry.

Last edited:

PJ Weber

I'm worried that if I select NO on the application, the FBI check might be able to go through the sealed record, see my juvenile history and disqualify me
The government can and will see sealed or expunged records

Admit everything

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">