• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The State vs. the Elderly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sandyjojo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Can the State of Texas commit my 82 yr. old father to a home for the elderly? I've heard the State can take his money out of the bank. Is that true? How can I protect my father and his assets? I live in Arizona

ShyCat

If your father is unable to care for himself in his own home, he needs to be placed in an appropriate setting where he can be taken care of. To do otherwise would be elder abuse.

As for his assets, of course they should be used for his benefit by paying for his own care. Medicaid (state welfare) cannot be expected to pay until that person's assets are used up. It's welfare for the destitute, not welfare for the heirs.

aanubis

if your father is unable to care for himself in his own home, he needs to be placed in an appropriate setting where he can be taken care of. To do otherwise would be elder abuse.

As for his assets, of course they should be used for his benefit by paying for his own care. Medicaid (state welfare) cannot be expected to pay until that person's assets are used up. It's welfare for the destitute, not welfare for the heirs.
well said !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">