• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged Dropped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

princep786

Hello, I am in California. I am 21 years old. A few days ago I was arrested for petty theft. The person that I stole from decided to drop the charges agaisnt me. Do I still have to go to court??? What goes on my record now? Since the charges were droped what do i do now? Anyone that can help me thanks.

The Occultist

Are you certain the charges were actually dropped? Many times, the victim will say to drop the charges but the DA will decide to go through with it anyways.

princep786

Yes I am positive the charges were dropped. The person that I stole from showed me that paper that he signed regarding dropping the charges. I made a photocopy of it. My main concern is this going to be on my record? Also, is it going to be an arrest record as well? Furthermore, will I have to disclose this in any way when I choose to apply for another job. Thanks for your timely response. This has been an extreme headache and it could have been all avoided if I did not come the stupid crime.

princep786

Go to court on the appointed date.
Make sure the charges were dropped and the case is closed.
Oh, so I still do go to the court on the date that was appointed on my misdemeanor ticket? Also when you say case is closed...does that mean nothing is on my record? I am sorry, I am just new to the situation and I really do not have a big understanding on what is going on. Furthermore, is there going to be anything pertaining to my arrest record? Thanks for your reply.

CdwJava

Oh, so I still do go to the court on the date that was appointed on my misdemeanor ticket?
Yes. Until you are notified by the court or the DA that you do not have to appear, you had better show up. The state is the one prosecuting you, not the victim. Only the state can drop the charges.

Also when you say case is closed...does that mean nothing is on my record?
No, it means that no CONVICTION will be on your record. A record of the report and the arrest will remain with the court and whatever agencies hold the information. A record of the arrest will also be held with the state if you were fingerprinted and booked.

- Carl

princep786

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. I am afraid that I have one more. Does the arrest ever go away. Or do I have to try to get my arrest record sealed? I know in most cases that you do have to get i sealed. Moreover, whats the probability of my arrest record getting sealed since considering I was not convicted and charges were dropped. True, I will go on the court date to ensure that I was not convicted and indeed the charges were dropped, but any help from anyone is great. Thanks everyone again for the timely advice.

CdwJava

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. I am afraid that I have one more. Does the arrest ever go away. Or do I have to try to get my arrest record sealed?
If the charges are dropped, you will still have the arrest record forever. You can only get it removed by an order of the court. You can make a request of the agencies and offices holding the records to destroy them, but they almost certainly will not do so without an order from a court. Such an order is unlikely as you are not factually innocent.

Go to the link below for more information from the CA courts:

California Courts: Self-Help Center: More Topics: Criminal Law: Clean Up Your Criminal Record

- Carl

princep786

True I did commit the crime, luckily and I hope the charges were dropped. If i contact a lawyer that specializes in sealing arrest records, do you think that they may be able to prove that I was factually innocent? Thanks for the link, very informative. They did not have the answer to this question. Thanks again for your help Carl.

CdwJava

True I did commit the crime, luckily and I hope the charges were dropped. If i contact a lawyer that specializes in sealing arrest records, do you think that they may be able to prove that I was factually innocent? Thanks for the link, very informative. They did not have the answer to this question. Thanks again for your help Carl.
You can speak to an attorney, but I don't think you stand much of a chance of getting the arrest removed. You are NOT "factually innocent", so why would a judge have it destroyed?

However, in CA you do not have to reveal an arrest to employers - only convictions. So, if you are never convicted, then you are home free. And few employers are going to check the local courthouse or police department for a record of arrests or contacts.

- Carl

princep786

Thanks for the information. I was caught on camera...it never hurts to try but I do not want to waste money on a lawyer when I know my chances are slim to none to get my arrest record sealed. I am going to try to contact the office holding the record to see what the procedure is on getting it removed. I read somewhere that lawyers first try to contact the agency and/or office to try to get the record sealed, usually like you said it does not work. Therefore, the lawyer then try to take it to court, in order to get the arrest record sealed. Anyways, thanks for making everything clear for me Carl.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">