• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of in-laws regarding inheritance issues in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LEMRHM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in Texas, and I have a question regarding the rights of in-laws regarding inheritance issues. I heard recently that in-laws (individuals that have married into a family) have no legal claim to inheritances received by their spouses upon the death of that spouse's parent. My friend's dad died recently and certain in-laws in their family think that they are going to have a legal right to an inheritance from their father-in-law's estate because they are married to one of their father-in-law's children. Is this legally the case or not? I think Texas is a community property state, so I'm wondering why I might have heard that in-laws have no legal rights to their spouse's inheritance. Thank you for your time and assistance with this question.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LEMRHM

Interesting. So when do inheritances become the community property of husband and wife? Or do they ever?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Interesting. So when do inheritances become the community property of husband and wife? Or do they ever?
When they are co-mingled (mixed).

So, if a person gets $100,000.00 and puts it in a totally separate account and NEVER puts any "community" money in to that account, the account would always be that person's separate property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">