• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fees for UNDERAGE driving. HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SNEAkUHbUTT

Hey. I'm from New Jersey. I'm 16.
Last night I got pulled over for speeding (20mph over the limit), one head light being out, and for a break light being out. I was on my way home, since i found out my lights were out. Luckily, the cop didn't give me a ticket for speeding. I got tickets for the lights, and driving without a license.
I know the ticket for the lights is $54, but the unlicensed is unknown.
The stupid thing is that I'm getting my provisional license in less than a month.
And my court date is 5 days before my b-day.

My questions are:
Is it still possible for me to get my license on my b-day?
And if I don't get it on my b-day, how long until I get it?
What is the fee for driving without a license?
Is it possible for my parents to not know anything about my situation?

I need an estimate on how much I would have to pay. I'm currently unemployed and saving up for my summons.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your parents WILL find out. I seriously hope they curtail your behavior a bit more than they seem to be doing now.
Don't plan on getting your license.

SNEAkUHbUTT

I asked the cop last night, he told me that they didn't have to know.

Edit: I was just making sure.

Last edited:
...The stupid thing is that I'm getting my provisional license in less than a month.
And my court date is 5 days before my b-day.

My questions are:
Is it still possible for me to get my license on my b-day?
And if I don't get it on my b-day, how long until I get it?
What is the fee for driving without a license?
Is it possible for my parents to not know anything about my situation?

I need an estimate on how much I would have to pay. I'm currently unemployed and saving up for my summons.
Call the court and see what you need to do to get a continuence. They will probably give you another month, or when ever the police officers next trafic court date is. I'm not sure whether you need a reason for the first continuence or not.
That should buy you the time you need. Just don't get in trouble.
Good luck.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I asked the cop last night, he told me that they didn't have to know.

Edit: I was just making sure.
LOL Your parents will find out when their insurance goes up. Don't plan on getting yoru license - either DMV will stop you.... or your parents will.

Some Random Guy

You realize that you are looking at about $1000 in fines and court costs, and that when you do get your license you will be paying well over a thousand a year in insurance, plus additional state fees of %100 per year for the next three years.

Driving Privileges and Penalties

Also, if you show up in court without your parents, expect some quesions on whether you actually drove to court.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Call the court and see what you need to do to get a continuence. They will probably give you another month, or when ever the police officers next trafic court date is. I'm not sure whether you need a reason for the first continuence or not.
Good luck.
You are kidding right? You don't actually consider this legal advice. The time he needs for what? To get a provisional license which will be yanked if he is even allowed to get it at all?

Some Random Guy

Talk to the DA and at least get professional legal advice from a local attorney before going to court.
Good luck doing that while underage with no driver license and hiding the tickets from your parents.

Tell them now - they are bound to find out. If you tell them they may be able to help you in your efforts to get a better deal.

SNEAkUHbUTT

Good luck.
I don't think they would do that. My offense wasn't THAT serious.

LOL Your parents will find out when their insurance goes up. Don't plan on getting yoru license - either DMV will stop you.... or your parents will.
Insurance wouldn't go up. I never got the ticket for speeding. I highly doubt that "Maintenance of lamps" would raise it up.

You realize that you are looking at about $1000 in fines and court costs, and that when you do get your license you will be paying well over a thousand a year in insurance, plus additional state fees of %100 per year for the next three years.

Driving Privileges and Penalties

Also, if you show up in court without your parents, expect some quesions on whether you actually drove to court.
Yea, I understand that, but I wasn't being reckless, destructive, nor under any substance that would impair my ability to drive.

I'm trying to get a ride there.

You are kidding right? You don't actually consider this legal advice. The time he needs for what? To get a provisional license which will be yanked if he is even allowed to get it at all?
By the way, I'm a she.
You're making it sound like I hit somebody. lol

Generally, only a conviction will prevent you from getting a provisional license. If you get probation before judgment or a deferred prosecution, it shouldn't affect it. Talk to the DA and at least get professional legal advice from a local attorney before going to court.
I was trying to, but I didn't have time. I just recently got a job.
Yea, my friend was underage and got into a car crash, he got his provisional license 6 months later.

Good luck doing that while underage with no driver license and hiding the tickets from your parents.

Tell them now - they are bound to find out. If you tell them they may be able to help you in your efforts to get a better deal.
I'm waiting for them to ask. I received letters from attorneys, and they still won't ask.
If I don't find any other solution, I'll tell them.

I just don't want my folks taking my faults.

Thanks.
If there is anything else I need to know, or any helpful facts, PLEASE feel free to reply.

Last edited:

Antigone*

You are just adding to your faults by not coming clean to your parents. So much for trust, that is out the window.

Your parents trust is priceless, think twice about what you are doing.

take care, ana

outonbail

I don't think they would do that. My offense wasn't THAT serious.
I'm sure you could get a continuance if requested. However in my opinion, you will just be postponing the inevitable.
It wasn't THAT serious? I think you may be taking this incident a bit too lightly

Insurance wouldn't go up. I never got the ticket for speeding. I highly doubt that "Maintenance of lamps" would raise it up.
No, maintenance lamps will not be a problem. However, the fact that you were driving a car without a license and obviously uninsured, will definitely raise your insurance rates. Also, I imagine your parents will be adding you on to their existing policy. When the insurance company discovers this incident they will immediately notify your parents and either drop you from the policy or require a considerable increase in their premiums, to keep you insured on their policy.

Yea, I understand that, but I wasn't being reckless, destructive, nor under any substance that would impair my ability to drive.
Let me fill you in on something that you have obviously failed to realize. When you have a person who is under the legal age to drive a motor vehicle, yet they are doing so, at night, with inoperative safety equipment (headlight and brake light) and that person is doing 20 mph above the posted speed limit and they are not covered by insurance, you are being reckless! You are also displaying irresponsible behavior, no respect for the law, several laws in fact and you are a definite threat to every other person on the road!
Do not try to convince yourself otherwise because the judge will not be impressed with your "This is No big deal" attitude. This is a very big deal and you need to realize this before you waltz into court, flutter your eye lashes at the judge and give him the same impression you're giving everyone here.

I'm trying to get a ride there.
You don't need to try, you just need to do it!

By the way, I'm a she.
You're making it sound like I hit somebody. lol
Your making it sound like this situation is about as serious as spilled milk.

Yea, my friend was underage and got into a car crash, he got his provisional license 6 months later.
Don't believe what friends tell you when it comes to breaking the law and the punishment involved and never expect to receive leniency because you heard someone else received it.

I'm waiting for them to ask. I received letters from attorneys, and they still won't ask.
If I don't find any other solution, I'll tell them.
I absolutely assure you they will find out eventually. So you need to decide whether they would rather learn of this situation directly from you, or from their insurance company or other source.

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement, but as you get older you will discover that you are going to be held accountable for your actions and no one else. This is just the way life works as you become an adult

Thanks.
If there is anything else I need to know, or any helpful facts, PLEASE feel free to reply.
You need to leave an impression with the judge that you are taking responsibility for your actions, that you are embarrassed and sorry for disappointing your parents by breaking the law and you will be doing everything you can to make it up to them, starting with obeying the law.

SNEAkUHbUTT

Thanks for the help. :)

I went to court last night.
The judge thought I was older, so he said that I was going to pay about $600-700.
(He also didn't mention anything about license, etc..)
When the whole ordeal was done, he asked if I had anything to say.
I asked him when was I going to get my license (which was stupid, in my opinion).
I could have gotten away with the age thing; it's just that I would have to pay more fines.
He didn't know that I was only 16, so I told him, and that changed everything.
He deduced the fine to $300 (which I'm paying $50 monthly).
He also said that I'm not able to get my "permit" in six months, but I already have a permit.
I said it twice, and asked him if he meant my provisional license.
He answered me the same and seemed to be emphasizing on the "permit" part.

I mean like, I highly doubt a judge wouldn't know the difference between a provisional license and a permit. I keep thinking if it is a loophole.

My question is that if I can still get my license at the designated date I'm supposed to get it (which is on Dec. 16th).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the help. :)

I went to court last night.
The judge thought I was older, so he said that I was going to pay about $600-700.
(He also didn't mention anything about license, etc..)
When the whole ordeal was done, he asked if I had anything to say.
I asked him when was I going to get my license (which was stupid, in my opinion).
I could have gotten away with the age thing; it's just that I would have to pay more fines.
He didn't know that I was only 16, so I told him, and that changed everything.
He deduced the fine to $300 (which I'm paying $50 monthly).
He also said that I'm not able to get my "permit" in six months, but I already have a permit.
I said it twice, and asked him if he meant my provisional license.
He answered me the same and seemed to be emphasizing on the "permit" part.

I mean like, I highly doubt a judge wouldn't know the difference between a provisional license and a permit. I keep thinking if it is a loophole.

My question is that if I can still get my license at the designated date I'm supposed to get it (which is on Dec. 16th).
Your permit will be revoked. Don't overlook that piece of mail!

SNEAkUHbUTT

What piece of mail?

I understand that my permit is invalid, but when I turn 17, am I able to get my license on the date I'm supposed to?

SNEAkUHbUTT

Well, I tried getting my license. I failed my road test on parallel parking.

I can have another appointment in two weeks.

Yea, so any idea if I'm able to get my license...(when I do pass the road test)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">