• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life estate issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sophieandethan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new york

I own a home in New york state, and I need to know who is responsible for violations on the home. My mother is the life estate tenant who lives in the home. I am on the mortgage note and am the remainderman. However, the town has said that I need to make renovations to the home to comply with the building code violations. Shouldn't she need to make the renovations since it is her home until her death?

tranquility

It depends. It is a factual situation as to if the problem is in possession or in ownership. You haven't provided enough facts to determine. But, at the end of the day, what happens if she doesn't pay?

Your rights to the house will be affected and you may gain the property with a big old fat government lien on it. Pay them now or pay them (with penalties and interest) later. Your choice.

(Hint: Try to make a deal with mother. Court will not make this any cheaper.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">