• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sentencing Question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

underminded000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) Ohio

I have a friend who was just sentenced 6 months for her first offense 2 weeks ago for Assault M1. She has just found out she is pregnant. Is there any hope of filing an appeal or getting her sentenced reduced? Who could i contact in regards of an appeal or reduction? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) Ohio

I have a friend who was just sentenced 6 months for her first offense 2 weeks ago for Assault M1. She has just found out she is pregnant. Is there any hope of filing an appeal or getting her sentenced reduced? Who could i contact in regards of an appeal or reduction? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
You can't contact anyone. SHE can talk to her lawyer and see if she has options.

underminded000

She was appointed a public defender who for some reason is extremely hard to get a hold of after the ruling. I just need someone to point me in the right direction as to how to help her out. I have never heard of anyone ever doing the maximum sentence on a first offense. The incident was no where near extreme. Im not saying she is innocent, I'am just saying the punishment does not fit the crime. I just don't understand it. Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just Blue

She was appointed a public defender who for some reason is extremely hard to get a hold of after the ruling. I just need someone to point me in the right direction as to how to help her out. I have never heard of anyone ever doing the maximum sentence on a first offense. The incident was no where near extreme. Im not saying she is innocent, I'am just saying the punishment does not fit the crime. I just don't understand it. Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
How do you know this is her first brush with the law? Her word? And many times people are give the max. She assaulted someone...6 months is nothing.

underminded000

How do you know this is her first brush with the law? Her word? And many times people are give the max. She assaulted someone...6 months is nothing.
As i dont feel its completely necessary to run a background check, her word is the only thing i have to go by. I questioned it myself when she told me . I know she would help me out if i were in the same situation so i feel obliged to do the same.

cyjeff

Pregnancy is not a get out of jail free card.

If the sentence was within guidelines, then the punishment DOES fit the crime.

Again, she needs to talk to her attorney and see what can be done. If the attorney is unavailable, get another one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">