• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the police charge me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KathieMarks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

AFTER THEY SERVED A SEARCH WARRANT ON MY HOUSE LOOKING FOR GUNS, THEY ARRESTED ME FOR HAVING A SET OF NUMCHUCKS ON MY WALL FOR DISPLAY. THEY SAID THEY WERE ARRESTING ME FOR BEING IN POSSESSION OF A DANGEROUS WEAPON. AFTER I HAD BEEN CUFFED AND WAS IN TRANSPORT TO THE SHERIFF STATION, THEY SUPPOSEDLY FOUND AN EMPTY BAG THAT CONTAINED METH NOT IN MY HOUSE BUT IN MY EX-HUSBANDS CAR THAT WAS PARKED ACROSS THE STREET. NOW THEY ARE TRYING TO CHARGE ME WITH POSSESSION OF A CONTROLED SUBSTANCE AND HAVE DROPPED THE WEAPONS CHARGE. CAN THEY CHARGE ME FOR SOMETHING THAT I WAS NOT PRESENT FOR WHEN THEY FOUND IT AND THE VECHILE WAS NOT REGISTERED TO ME?

CdwJava

AFTER THEY SERVED A SEARCH WARRANT ON MY HOUSE LOOKING FOR GUNS, THEY ARRESTED ME FOR HAVING A SET OF NUMCHUCKS ON MY WALL FOR DISPLAY. THEY SAID THEY WERE ARRESTING ME FOR BEING IN POSSESSION OF A DANGEROUS WEAPON.
PC 12020 states that the possession of a "nunchaku" outside of a martial arts or self defense school is illegal. Further, PC 12029 allows for seizure and destruction of these items if found in one's possession outside of a martial arts or self defense school.

So, they found it while searching for guns and they acted upon it. Perfectly lawful.

AFTER I HAD BEEN CUFFED AND WAS IN TRANSPORT TO THE SHERIFF STATION, THEY SUPPOSEDLY FOUND AN EMPTY BAG THAT CONTAINED METH NOT IN MY HOUSE BUT IN MY EX-HUSBANDS CAR THAT WAS PARKED ACROSS THE STREET. NOW THEY ARE TRYING TO CHARGE ME WITH POSSESSION OF A CONTROLED SUBSTANCE
How does an "empty" bag have meth? I can only assume that they found a bag with the residue or a white powdery substance that they assumed to be (or tested positive for) meth. At trial they will have to argue that there was a USABLE amount in the bag, and, that you had knowledge it was in the car and the ability to control it.

CAN THEY CHARGE ME FOR SOMETHING THAT I WAS NOT PRESENT FOR WHEN THEY FOUND IT AND THE VECHILE WAS NOT REGISTERED TO ME?
I suppose you will find ou very soon. It will be tough, but it depends on what they know.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">