• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teacher does not stop alcohol consumption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cagneyand

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
Robertson County

On November 11, 2008 part of the senior class was allowed to go on a filed trip accompanied by a teacher. The students began drinking when they boarded the bus. Statements from students said that everyone was loud and out of hand. The teacher never investigated and allowed the trip to go on. It was not until a mall security called and reported several intoxicated children. The teacher did not stop the field trip and return the students to the school. My child was in a "functioning blackout" and supposedly went undetected. He was close to alcohol poisoning.

15 students partook of the alcohol, however only 8 were arrested, 9 were suspended and sent to Alternative School.

Can I sue in small claims court for negligence? Can I collect punitive damages from the teacher for allowing the field trip to continue? I do not know how you could miss 15 drunken teenagers (a minimum of 1/2 of the group)!

Last edited by a moderator:

cyjeff

OOOHHHHH....

So it was the teacher's fault that your child drank himself into a stupor?

Yes, you can sue the school. What are the amount of your damages?

Perky

I doubt that you can sue unless your child needed medical treatment. In that case, you may be able to sue for the medical bills that your insurance didn't cover. I'm sure someone else will clarify.

I suggest that you contact the principal of the school to find out what has been done about the incident. If you are unhappy with the answer, you can move up the ladder to the superintendent, then the district board of ed, and finally the state board of ed.

Keep in mind that it's possible that the teacher has already been disciplined.

Also, I agree with Cyjeff's post regarding who's at fault for your son's condition. However, I don't understand, and would complain about, the teacher's decision to continue the field trip after finding out that students were drunk.

Last edited:

cyjeff

I am sure the OP was asked to be a chaperone.

I wonder what was more important than their own child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">