• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Environmental court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tesalake

I'm in Hermitage,TN and have come home to find a warrant on my door to attend environmental court due to 'high weeds' (you know, they actually are about 2 feet from the ground, I agree about that (front yard) open storage of junk (huh?) I live at the very end of a cul de sac road, I can only imagine the junk mentioned are 4 trash bags I have in my backyard (I know, I know, trust me I'm getting rid of them) and lack of premise identification (now this one is just silly, I have stick on numbers on my house, apparently the 8 fell off.)

So my question is 2 fold. Can I get a continuance on this? I'm a server who really doesn't make much money. The date my court date is scheduled we actually have a party of 30 scheduled where I work, this puts me in a much better postition to pay whatever I just know they are going to want from me.

Also, If I get rid of the trash bags, get the lawn trimmed and buy another 8, will that help me when I go in?

I'm seriously at a loss here. Any thoughts appreciated.
Thank you in advance

j991

All of the issues that you describe are compliance issues. You need to contact the officer (or court) who issues the summos to appear. Explain you situation and ask that the case be continued to another date. If you fix all of the descrepencies, then you have a better arguement to ask the court to dismiss all of the charges as "complied with law". Bring pictures to prove that the violations have been taken care of. In my experience, these are not serious violations and the courts are usually lienent. Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">