• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laws On Vacation Time in Massachusetts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IceCatHockey

Just recently my company sent around a memo stating that we can no longer take time without pay. Like for example in the past if I were to take a day off, I can take it with no pay rather than using a sick day. We get 3 sick days and 2 personal days a year and 2 weeks paid vacation. Now they say that if you take a day off they will use your time, if you no longer have sick or personal days they will use your vacation time until there is no vacation time left and THEN you can take no pay options. Is this legal? I live in MA, and it seems as though if I am out sick for a couple of days with the flu, it seems a bit unfair the next time I am out sick that they can start dipping into my vacation time especially if I am saying it is okay to not pay me. I was just wondering if it was legal is all, I have been trying to find the answer on the Labor Laws of the state and they are very unclear. Please help

L

loku

No pay days off

Since the company was under no obligation to offer the days off with no pay in the first place, I believe the company is within their rights to alter their policy as long as the change is effective for time taken after the notice of change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">