• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annual Evaluation "REDO"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mellyrn

I was recently given my annual performance review by my direct supervisor. This was reviewed with me and sent to HR for processing. My supervisor called me into the office today and told me my evaluation had been "sent back" and that he had been told to redo the evaluation, I am assuming with lower ratings. Is this legal? Can they just throw the first evaluation away and redo it?

mellyrn

I should add that this "redo" demand came from my boss's boss, who does not like me. I fear that she is trying to create some documentation trail to get rid of me. My boss gave me a great evaluation and I have never been counseled or written up for anything. Should I keep a copy of the original evaluation? My boss told me in 25 years of management, he had never been asked to do this.

ecmst12

Doesn't make it any less legal. Perhaps your boss was trying to give you a higher raise then the budget allows for this year. Tons of companies are reducing raises this year.

eerelations

And anyway, you don't know for sure that your boss's boss is trying to lower your ratings. Maybe she thinks they should be increased!

Beth3

Your boss's boss directing your boss to re-evaluate your performance is completely legal. Sure, you can keep a copy of the original evaluation but it has no legal relevance.

BTW, I've directed managers to re-do evaluations when it clearly does not reflect the individual's performance. I had one nincompoop supervisor rate an employee's attendance as "excellent" when in fact that employee had just received a final warning for excessive absences.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just FYI, there are no laws, at all, in any state, regarding performance evaluations.

Alex23

We don't ever get performance evaluations in my job. The least qualified people keep getting promoted. It's very frustrating.

Ronin

Many managers in larger corporations are required to Bell curve their evaluations. Even if everyone in their group is outstanding, they need to clearly identify who is most and who is least outstanding. This makes it easier during layoffs to target those at the bottom percentile of the performance evaluations.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Many managers in larger corporations are required to Bell curve their evaluations. Even if everyone in their group is outstanding, they need to clearly identify who is most and who is least outstanding. This makes it easier during layoffs to target those at the bottom percentile of the performance evaluations.
If everyone is actually that good, the company should never have to have layoffs. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">